• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

Bottle recount..two bottles in the fridge

Last night we co-hosted the Fall Social for my DH’s grape growing/wine making group.  18 people with members bringing appetizers , salad and dessert.  Us and another couple were responsible for mains.

i decided to cook chicken breasts sous vide because nobody in the group has had this preparation.  Our co-hosts ,made a slow braised brisket and cheese mashed potatoes.  The chicken was cooked at 140f for 2 hrs then brushed with a sugar and water mix to help them brown quickly.  I sliced them and then poured a herb, garlic and cream sauce over them.  I also made pistachio butter carrots.  Most of the food was demolished (the brisket was delicious)....as well as 15 bottles of wine I might add.

Everyone remarked that the chicken was the best chicken breasts they had ever had. 

Misson accomplished....sous vide is becoming more main stream...Canadian Tire airs an ad on tv for a $125 stick sous vide machine.  It was fun to see people’s reaction to the meat in bags in the bath...they seemed a bit sceptical.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

Last night we co-hosted the Fall Social for my DH’s grape growing/wine making group.  18 people with members bringing appetizers , salad and dessert.  Us and another couple were responsible for mains.

i decided to cook chicken breasts sous vide because nobody in the group has had this preparation.  Our co-hosts ,made a slow braised brisket and cheese mashed potatoes.  The chicken was cooked at 140f for 2 hrs then brushed with a sugar and water mix to help them brown quickly.  I sliced them and then poured a herb, garlic and cream sauce over them.  I also made pistachio butter carrots.  Most of the food was demolished (the brisket was delicious)....as well as 17  bottles of wine I might add.

Everyone remarked that the chicken was the best chicken breasts they had ever had. 

Misson accomplished....sous vide is becoming more main stream...Canadian Tire airs an ad on tv for a $125 stick sous vide machine.  It was fun to see people’s reaction to the meat in bags in the bath...they seemed a bit sceptical.