• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Breakfast— sous vide sweet potato and 90°C egg.  Both were cooked at 90°C. The sweet potatoes for 30 minutes and the eggs for 8 minutes.  The eggs came directly from the freezer are supermarket large. Once the sweet potatoes were ready,  I remove them and then later about water from the pan as the recommendation for these eggs is to use the small pan of water so that it recovers quickly when you introduce the fridge-cold eggs.

Hi, Anna:

Sorry, I'm not understanding.  The eggs were frozen?  And if the bath is 90C, wouldn't a fuller bath recover faster than a smaller one?  Have you measured the yolk temperature when you peel the eggs?

I'm concluding that, in order to set the whites and leave the yolk liquid-y, you must NOT heat the center of the egg to such a bath temp (I've watched Dave Arnold's video).  Obviously, refrigeration would matter.  I'll dig out my copy of McGee and relearn what egg proteins set at what temps.  But in the end, aren't we cooking these SV eggs in... eggactly... the same way as non-SV, i.e., immersing them in hot enough water to cook the whites to firmness X and pulling them out before the yolk overcooks?    IOWs, is there no magic Mhyrvold Temperature for soft-boiled eggs, where the whole egg can remain at the same temp for some time?

Your result looks like something I'd want.  Yum.

Boilsover     

boilsover

boilsover

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Breakfast— sous vide sweet potato and 90°C egg.  Both were cooked at 90°C. The sweet potatoes for 30 minutes and the eggs for 8 minutes.  The eggs came directly from the freezer are supermarket large. Once the sweet potatoes were ready,  I remove them and then later about water from the pan as the recommendation for these eggs is to use the small pan of water so that it recovers quickly when you introduce the fridge-cold eggs.

Hi, Anna:

Sorry, I'm not understanding.  The eggs were frozen?  And if the bath is 90C, wouldn't a fuller bath recover faster than a smaller one?  Have you measured the yolk temperature when you peel the eggs?

I'm concluding that, in order to set the whites and leave the yolk liquid-y, you must NOT heat the center of the egg to such a bath temp I've watched Dave Arnold's video).  Obviously, refrigeration would matter.  I'll dig out my copy of McGee and relearn what egg proteins set at what temps.  But in the end, aren't we cooking these SV eggs in... eggactly... the same way as non-SV, i.e., immersing them in hot enough water to cook the whites to firmness X and pulling them out before the yolk overcooks?    IOWs, is there no magic Mhyrvold Temperature for soft-boiled eggs, where the whole egg can remain at the same temp for some time?

Your result looks like something I'd want.  Yum.

Boilsover