• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

clarification

On 10/02/2017 at 5:25 AM, cakewalk said:

I never thought that five spice powder was supposed to contain exactly five ingredients, and just about anything that I have ever read on the spice stressed that the name is not to be taken literally, nor are the number and/or the precise ingredients to be viewed as "fixed." It's kind of like assuming that thousand-year-old eggs have really aged for a thousand years. Most people do not think this.

Well, obviously I don't know what you have read, but there are innumerable mentions in descriptions of five spice powder in books, magazines and internet articles which state that it contains five spices. In fact, I have been unable to find one that says " the name is not to be taken literally“ or anything similar.

Things like this abound.

Used extensively in Chinese cooking, this pungent mixture of five ground spices usually consists of equal parts of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Prepackaged five-spice powder is available in Asian markets and most supermarkets.

From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.

I have been looking through recipes on the internet for home made FSP. I got very bored looking for one that had more than five ingredients and gave up.

Even the McCormick's website states "This blend of five spices, extensively used in Chinese cuisine, brings warm, spicy-sweet flavors to stir-fries and roasted meats..." despite the version they sell here containing six.

Until I changed it a couple of days ago, the relevant Wikipedia page stated "Five-spice powder is a spice mixture of five spices used primarily in Chinese cuisine". I added  "or more".

Also, you'd be surprised how many people think that 1000-year-old-eggs are not only really 1000 years old, but are also made by people burying eggs in the ground and having a horse urinate on them before their long wait for breakfast.

On 10/02/2017 at 5:25 AM, cakewalk said:

if anyone wants to put Chinese five spice powder (because that is what it is called here, like it or not) in their tomato sauce and call it Chinese style tomato sauce, then that is their decision to make.

Why do you assume that I may not like it being called Chinese five spice powder? I never thought or said anything like that. I took it that, the post being in the Chinese forums section, people would probably guess I wasn't referring to Patagonian five spice powder.

However, I still say that putting FSP into an American style tomato sauce doesn't magically turn it into a Chinese tomato sauce. It turns it into American tomato sauce with FSP in it. Simple fact. But you can call it anything you like.

I am sorry you find my posts condescending. No one else has ever complained before. Or maybe they are just polite. Or not as all-knowing as you.

liuzhou

liuzhou

clarification

7 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I never thought that five spice powder was supposed to contain exactly five ingredients, and just about anything that I have ever read on the spice stressed that the name is not to be taken literally, nor are the number and/or the precise ingredients to be viewed as "fixed." It's kind of like assuming that thousand-year-old eggs have really aged for a thousand years. Most people do not think this.

Well, obviously I don't know what you have read, but there are innumerable mentions in descriptions of five spice powder in books, magazines and internet articles which state that it contains five spices. In fact, I have been unable to find one that says " the name is not to be taken literally“ or anything similar.

Things like this abound.

Used extensively in Chinese cooking, this pungent mixture of five ground spices usually consists of equal parts of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Prepackaged five-spice powder is available in Asian markets and most supermarkets.

From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.

I have been looking through recipes on the internet for home made FSP. I got very bored looking for one that had more than five ingredients and gave up.

Even the McCormick's website states "This blend of five spices, extensively used in Chinese cuisine, brings warm, spicy-sweet flavors to stir-fries and roasted meats..." despite the version they sell here containing six.

Until I changed it a couple of days ago, the relevant Wikipedia page stated "Five-spice powder is a spice mixture of five spices used primarily in Chinese cuisine". I added  "or more".

Also, you'd be surprised how many people think that 1000-year-old-eggs are not only really 1000 years old, but are also made by people burying eggs in the ground and having a horse urinate on them before their long wait for breakfast.

if anyone wants to put Chinese five spice powder (because that is what it is called here, like it or not) in their tomato sauce and call it Chinese style tomato sauce, then that is their decision to make.

Why do you assume that I may not like it being called Chinese five spice powder? I never thought or said anything like that. I took it that, the post being in the Chinese forums section, people would probably guess I wasn't referring to Patagonian five spice powder.

However, I still say that putting FSP into an American style tomato sauce doesn't magically turn it into a Chinese tomato sauce. It turns it into American tomato sauce with FSP in it. Simple fact. But you can call it anything you like.

I am sorry you find my posts condescending. No one else has ever complained before. Or maybe they are just polite.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Things like this abound.

I'd be very surprised if "most people do not think this". The evidence suggests otherwise.

I am sorry you find my posts condescending. No one else has ever complained before. Or maybe they are just polite.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Things like this abound.

2 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Why do you assume that I may not like it being called Chinese five spice powder? I never said anything like that and took it that, the post being in the Chinese forums section, people would probably guess I wasn't referring to Patagonian five spice powder.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

Why do you assume that I may not like it being called Chinese five spice powder? I never said anything like that and took it that, the post being in the Chinese forums section, people would probably guess I wasn't referring to Patagonian five spice powder.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Also, you'd be surprised how many people think that 1000-year-old-eggs are not only really 1000 years old, but are also made by burying eggs in the ground and having a horse urinate on them before their long wait for breakfast.

Why do you assume that I may not like it being called Chinese five spice powder? I never said anything like that and took it that the post being in the Chinese forums section, people would probably guess I wasn't referring to Patagonian five spice powder.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Well, obviously I don't know what you have read, but there are innumerable mentions in descriptions of five spice powder in books, magazines and internet articles which state that it contains five spices. In fact, I have been unable to find one that says " the name is not to be taken literally“.

Even the McCormick's website states " This blend of five spices, extensively used in Chinese cuisine, brings warm, spicy-sweet flavors to stir-fries and roasted meats..." despite the version they sell here containing six.

Until I changed it a couple of days ago, the relevant Wikipedia page stated "Five-spice powder is a spice mixture of five or more spices used primarily in Chinese cuisine". I added  "or more".

Also, you'd be surprised how many people think that 1000-year-old-eggs are not only really 1000 years old, but are also made by burying eggs in the ground and having a horse urinate on them before their long wait for breakfast.

Why do you assume that I may not like it being called Chinese five spice powder? I never said anything like that and took it that the post being in the Chinese forums section, people would probably guess I wasn't referring to Patagonian five spice powder.