• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Krispy Kreme Challenge

Alex

Last year, 40 percent of runners opted to take on the full, 12-doughnut challenge, in which runners attempt to run two-and-a-half miles, eat 12 doughnuts, then run back in under an hour.

Ms. DeWeese said typical event participants are college students.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

But wait -- there's more.

At the Bacon 5K Challenge in Allentown, Pa., in September, competitors ate a half-pound of bacon at the halfway point and celebrated the finish with chocolate-covered bacon. Registration has already opened for the July 8 Brain Freezer 5K in Burlington, Vt., during which racers down a full pint of ice cream at the halfway point (3.1 miles, one pint of ice cream).

For still more, read the full story here (The New York Times).

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

There is a similar event at the technical university of Clausthal in the Harz mountains in central Germany. Contestants have to sprint 100 m, then drink one liter of beer in one go, then sprint back. It's a feared competition and only the chemical faculty is able to raise three teams ...

• Like 1

Yes, this crazy event is scheduled again tomorrow in Raleigh despite the fact that a participant died last year. The show (stupidity) must go on!

I love me some fresh, hot and ethereal Krispy Cremes, but come on, folks. Didn't your mother ever tell you to wait an hour after eating a meal to go swimming (or seriously running)?

> ^ . . ^ <

46 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yes, this crazy event is scheduled again tomorrow in Raleigh despite the fact that a participant died last year. The show (stupidity) must go on!

Your link says the man experienced chest pains in the first mile, leaving another mile and a half between him and the dozen donuts.  So apparently it was the running, not any eating, that led to his demise. 

For those interested, here's a link to a trove of video on our local TV news station in Raleigh that covered the event today. I watched the first one to make sure there was no nudity or on screen vomiting, but I have to warn you, the host, Kathy or Cathy, who identifies herself as with WRAL has never been seen on WRAL at least by me. I have been watching this station since 1986. Also you are in for a 17 minute lame video complete with nauseating shaky cam footage. It's supposed to be about the costumes, but these are lame too, IMO. There are links to other videos on the event but I just couldn't waste anymore time on them. I am glad that there is acknowledgment and memorial for the guy who died last year. Mostly the linked video shows a lot of participant runners and lots of spectators milling about in the cold day we had today, and doing mostly nothing. *Yawn* They close off a major street for this nonsense, but some seem to enjoy it. If you watch the video(s), you will see it's a MAJOR BIG DEAL around here. *Yawn*

And people deride country people's entertainment. 9_9

> ^ . . ^ <