• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That said, I'm not sure that 7 or 8 or 9 aren't random settings settled upon by the intern kid. I repeat, there is no standard.

Same with regular ovens.  There's a huge degree of variation from one to another.  No matter what type of equipment you're using, it pays to pay attention and adjust to how yours performs.

But back to microwaves....

• Boil a small amount of water.
  •  
  • Heat some cream (perhaps with some garlic to pour onto your potatoes au gratin).
  •  
  • Melt some chocolate (if you're gentle enough, you might not even take it out of temper).
  •  
  • Melt some butter.
  •  
  • Steam a hot dog bun (you'll want to wrap in in a paper towel first)
  •  
  • Heat a hot dog (this goes well with the previous tip)
  •  
  • Bring back some stale bread (again with the paper towel).
  •  
  • Cook a potato.
  •  
  • Cook some instant rice.
  •  
  • Nuke a soup.

There's a whole lot more, but most of it would take too much 'splaining.  Suffice it to say that I think microwaves too often get a bad rap for being ham handed cooking devices when the ham handedness actually comes from the element in the equation that actually has hands - and the requisite fingers to start and stop the damn things.

IndyRob

IndyRob

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That said, I'm not sure that 7 or 8 or 9 aren't random settings settled upon by the intern kid. I repeat, there is no standard.

Same with regular ovens.  There's a huge degree of variation from one to another.  No matter what type of equipment you're using, it pays to pay attention and adjust to how yours performs.

But back to microwaves....

• Boil a small amount of water.
  •  
  • Heat some cream (perhaps with some garlic to pour onto your potatoes au gratin).
  •  
  • Melt some chocolate (if you're gentle enough, you might not even take it out of temper).
  •  
  • Melt some butter.
  •  
  • Steam a hot dog bun (you'll want to wrap in in a paper towel first)
  •  
  • Heat a hot dog (this goes well with the previous tip)
  •  
  • Bring back some stale bread (again with the paper towel).
  •  
  • Cook a potato.
  •  
  • Cook some instant rice.
  •  
  • Nuke a soup.

There's a whole lot more, but most of it would take too much 'splaining.  Suffice it to say that I think microwaves too often get a bad rap for being ham handed cooking devices when the ham handedness actually comes from the element in the equation that actually has hands,  And the requisite fingers to start and stop the damn things.