• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Soupcon

Soupcon

change of wording

Taking the meat off the bone and then tying the bones back on to the rolled (or not) rib eye/strip loin makes it easier 1) to brown and roast the meat as the ribs act as a platform to elevate the loin/rib eye off the bottom of the pan where it would get over done and then 2) to separate the meat from the bone after resting and carving with no bones in the way.

Personally I like to slow roast a standing rib roast of beef (boned and rolled and tied back on the bones) in a 150*F oven  to 120*F internal temp and then let it rest while I finish the rest of the sides (or transport it to another location as I have done while keeping it warm). Then I put the meat in a very hot oven or on the big green egg to sear the outside before carving and serving.

Soupcon

Soupcon

Taking the meat off the bone and then tying the bones back on to the rolled (or not) rib eye/strip loin makes it easier 1) to brown and roast the meat as the ribs act as a platform to elevate the loin/rib eye off the bottom of the pan where it would get over done and then 2) to separate the meat from the bone after resting and carving with no bones in the way.

Personally I like to slow roast a standing rib roast of beef (boned and rolled and tied back on the bones) in a 150*F oven  to 120*F internal temp and then let it rest while I finish the rest of the sides (or transport it to another location as I have done while keeping it warm). Then I put the meat in a very high oven or on the big green egg to sear the outside before carving and serving.