• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

I have 10 chicken thighs and a pork loin I'll portion into steaks.  I'd like to brine both.  I don't think I'll try this since neither will need a long time in the brine, but nonetheless, I wonder if there's any need to keep them separate.

I did a search and it appears this is not the first time this question has been raised on the internet.  Yet, I think only one answer seemed authoritative (and that said it would be fine).  It seemed reasonable to me as well.

But, again, I don't need to do it, so I don't think I will.  Still, the question has been nagging me.

[Edit] Another point raised out there is that the flavors may mingle.  Not a horrible prospect in my thinking, but it seems unlikely to be to a detectable degree unless all the pieces are densely packed.

IndyRob

IndyRob

I have 10 chicken thighs and a pork loin I'll portion into steaks.  I'd like to brine both.  I don't think I'll try this since neither will need a long time in the brine, but nonetheless, I wonder if there's any need to keep them separate.

I did a search and it appears this is not the first time this question has been raised on the internet.  Yet, I think only one answer seemed authoritative (and that said it would be fine).  It seemed reasonable to me as well.

But, again, I don't need to do it, so I don't think I will.  Still, the question has been nagging me.

[Edit] Another point raised out there is that the flavors may mingle.  Not a horrible prospect in my thinking, but it seems unlikely to a detectable degree unless all the pieces are densely packed.

IndyRob

IndyRob