• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:07 PM, quiet1 said:

If time is short maybe just make up a few to use as signs on the table? No recipes, just a few ideas that are easy to read. People often will pause to read a little sign like that if it isn't too visually cluttered, and that gives the sales people a chance to offer a sample, see if they have any questions, etc.

I really loved your idea but ran out of time. I ever have an opportunity to do this again, what I would do is print and laminate little cards for each jam, and include information about the fruit used, pictures (especially for the most "exotic" ones such as Buddha's hand or calamondin), and suggestions for use. Anything that gets people to stop for a little longer at the booth so they have a chance to look at the products and be tempted. :)

So the market went extremely well. The biggest challenge was transporting canopy, table and products to the location; only a minute walk but these things are heavy. Second biggest challenge was mounting the canopy which apparently requires two people (so they can pull the structure in opposite directions simultaneously). Thankfully someone helped me and the canopy got installed on time.

What I wish I had done - information cards (see above), and also offering samples more freely! (I had almost all my jams to try as sample, but most people were too polite to ask!). I sold about 20 jars of jam, mostly to friends/family and friends of friends. I had 10 varieties and a lot of stock (more than 50 jars total).

I ended up only making three types of cookies because a lot of other stands were going to sell cookies and I figure there was little point in making more. I pre-packaged them in little bags that were all priced at $2 to keep things simple. The gluten-free brownies were the most popular. I had more than 50 bags of cookies and sold about a dozen, but the rest I brought to holiday parties or ate with coffee. :) 

Another thing would be to dress a bit more warmly, because it got really cold once the sun was out!

The market lasted for 4 hours and was a ton of fun, so time went really fast. And my daughter was delighted to sell almost all of her little friendship bracelets. Overall a great experience! I will post a few pictures once I've organized them.

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:07 PM, quiet1 said:

If time is short maybe just make up a few to use as signs on the table? No recipes, just a few ideas that are easy to read. People often will pause to read a little sign like that if it isn't too visually cluttered, and that gives the sales people a chance to offer a sample, see if they have any questions, etc.

I really loved your idea but ran out of time. I ever have an opportunity to do this again, what I would do is print and laminate little cards for each jam, and include information about the fruit used, pictures (especially for the most "exotic" ones such as Buddha's hand or calamansi), and suggestions for use. Anything that gets people to stop for a little longer at the booth so they have a chance to look at the products and be tempted. :)

So the market went extremely well. The biggest challenge was transporting canopy, table and products to the location; only a minute walk but these things are heavy. Second biggest challenge was mounting the canopy which apparently requires two people (so they can pull the structure in opposite directions simultaneously). Thankfully someone helped me and the canopy got installed on time.

What I wish I had done - information cards (see above), and also offering samples more freely! (I had almost all my jams to try as sample, but most people were too polite to ask!). I sold about 20 jars of jam, mostly to friends/family and friends of friends. I had 10 varieties and a lot of stock (more than 50 jars total).

I ended up only making three types of cookies because a lot of other stands were going to sell cookies and I figure there was little point in making more. I pre-packaged them in little bags that were all priced at $2 to keep things simple. The gluten-free brownies were the most popular. I had more than 50 bags of cookies and sold about a dozen, but the rest I brought to holiday parties or ate with coffee. :) 

Another thing would be to dress a bit more warmly, because it got really cold once the sun was out!

The market lasted for 4 hours and was a ton of fun, so time went really fast. And my daughter was delighted to sell almost all of her little friendship bracelets. Overall a great experience! I will post a few pictures once I've organized them.