• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

format

Here are some price points for similar artisanal jams made in California (per ounce price in parentheses).

Blue Chair Fruit - $13 for 6 oz ($2.2)

Robert Lambert - $14 for 8 oz ($1.8)

Inna Jam - $13.50 for 10 oz ($1.4)

Frog Hollow - $9 for 8 oz ($1.1)

We Love Jam - $10 for 9 oz ($1.1)

Then here in San Diego, there is a jam company that is pretty well distributed, but their products look a lot more like industrial jams with TONS of pectin, so I don't feel they are really up to par with the ones I listed above or with what I make.

Jackie's Jams - $6.50 for 8 oz ($0.8)

I was thinking $9 for 8 oz. I know I would be willing to pay that kind of price.

As a side note, I came across this article about a local jam-maker who does this just for the fun and doesn't sell, but won many prizes. She has lots of good tips. They mention that in one year, she made as many as 43 flavors!

I think I am closer to a more reasonable ~ 10 in the past 12 months... :D

(Trying to remember them all: aprium, persimmon (not great, this was the only batch I used pectin in, and I hated the stiff consistency), Bartlett pear & vanilla, yuzu marmalade, chinotto marmalade, ponderosa lemon marmalade, bouquet de fleurs marmalade, strawberry (a partial failure - too liquid), saffron & peach, quince with citrus zest & cardamom, fig & vanilla, and I am sure I forget one or two!).

But sadly these are long gone now, eaten or given to friends & family. I will need to make new batches to sell, with the fruit I can find between now and the beginning of next month!

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

additonal pricing info

Here are some price points for similar artisanal jams made in California (per ounce price in parentheses).

Blue Chair Fruit - $13 for 6 oz ($2.2)

Robert Lambert - $14 for 8 oz ($1.8)

Inna Jam - $13.50 for 10 oz ($1.4)

Frog Hollow - $9 for 8 oz ($1.1)

We Love Jam - $10 for 9 oz ($1.1)

Then here in San Diego, there is a jam company that is pretty well distributed, but their products look a lot more like industrial jams with TONS of pectin, so I don't feel they are really up to par with the ones I listed above or with what I make.

Jackie's Jams - $6.50 for 8 oz ($0.8)

I was thinking $9 for 8 oz. I know I would be willing to pay that kind of price.

As a side note, I came across this article about a local jam-maker who does this just for the fun and doesn't sell, but won many prizes. She has lots of good tips. They mention that in one year, she made as many as 43 flavors!

(Trying to remember them all: aprium, persimmon (not great, this was the only batch I used pectin in, and I hated the stiff consistency), Bartlett pear & vanilla, yuzu marmalade, chinotto marmalade, ponderosa lemon marmalade, bouquet de fleurs marmalade, strawberry (a partial failure - too liquid), saffron & peach, quince with citrus zest & cardamom, fig & vanilla, and I am sure I forget one or two!).

But sadly these are long gone now, eaten or given to friends & family. I will need to make new batches to sell, with the fruit I can find between now and the beginning of next month!

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

formatting

Here are some price points for similar artisanal jams made in California.

Blue Chair Fruit - $13 for 6 oz

Inna Jam - $13.50 for 10 oz

Robert Lambert - $14 for 8 oz

Frog Hollow - $9 for 8 oz

Jackie's Jams - $6.50 for 8 oz

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

completeness

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

completeness

I think I am closer to a more reasonable ~ 10 in the past 12 months... :D ( trying to remember them all: aprium, persimmon (not great, this was the only batch I used pectin in, and I hated the stiff consistency), Bartlett pear & vanilla, yuzu marmalade, chinotto marmalade, ponderosa lemon marmalade, bouquet de fleurs marmalade, strawberry (a partial failure - too liquid), saffron & peach, quince with citrus zest & cardamom, fig & vanilla, and I am sure I forget one or two!). But sadly these are long gone now, eaten or given to friends & family. I will need to make new batches to sell, with the fruit I can find between now and the beginning of next month!

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

typo

I think I am closer to a more reasonable ~ 10 in the past 12 months... :D ( trying to remember them all: aprium, Bartlett pear & vanilla, yuzu marmalade, chinotto marmalade, bouquet de fleurs marmalade, ponderosa lemon marmalade, strawberry - my only partial failure (too liquid), saffron & peach, quince with citrus zest & cardamom, fig & vanilla, and I am sure I forget one or two!). But sadly these are long gone now, eaten or given to friends & family. I will need to make new batches to sell, with the fruit I can find between now and the beginning of next month!

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Jackie's Jams* - $6.50 for 8 oz

I think I am closer to a more reasonable ~ 10 in the past 12 months... :D ( trying to remember them all: aprium, Bartlett pear & vanilla, yuzu marmalade, chinotto marmalade, bouquet de fleurs marmalade, ponderosa lemon marmalade, strawberry - my only partial failure (too liquid), saffron & peach, quince with citrus zest & cardamom, fig & vanilla, and I am sure I forget one or two!). But sadly these are long gone now, eaten or given to friends & family. I will need to make new batches to sell, with the fruit I can find between now and the beginning of next month!