• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

12 hours ago, kayb said:

I would be really interested to hear your take on Petit Jean Farms' bacon, @btbyrd. Not "as artisinal" as Benton's, Broadbent's...but damn good bacon. And for basic grocery store bacon (you can get Petit Jean in the grocery store, for premium prices), it's real hard to beat Wright's.

Turns out that I've actually had their bacon before. Zingerman's sells one of their products as "Arkansas pepper bacon," and it's fantastic stuff. I think they used to sell a "plain" applewood smoked bacon from there as well, but I might not be remembering that correctly. Whatever that was was also delicious. I haven't seen their products in the store anywhere before, but I'll give them a shot if I ever run across it in the supermarket. I suspect that the Zingermans stuff is an upmarket version that's made differently from what you can get at a normal grocery. But as for basic grocery store bacon, I agree that it's hard to beat Wrights. (Unless you've got Beeler's in your area.)

11 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Lots of folks say that.

SO and I must have got some from a bad batch — the smoke flavor was horrible (reminded me of the scent of an ashtray.) :S

That must have been a fluke. I've had a lot of their hickory and applewood bacon, and never run into that problem before.

btbyrd

btbyrd

isn't "Petit JeaBacon made near Mt. Petit Jeann Farms bacon"

12 hours ago, kayb said:

I would be really interested to hear your take on Petit Jean Farms' bacon, @btbyrd. Not "as artisinal" as Benton's, Broadbent's...but damn good bacon. And for basic grocery store bacon (you can get Petit Jean in the grocery store, for premium prices), it's real hard to beat Wright's.

Turns out that I've actually had their bacon before. (EDIT: Nope! Looks like I'm totally wrong. See my next post for details). Zingerman's sells one of their products as "Arkansas pepper bacon," and it's fantastic stuff. I think they used to sell a "plain" applewood smoked bacon from there as well, but I might not be remembering that correctly. Whatever that was was also delicious. I haven't seen their products in the store anywhere before, but I'll give them a shot if I ever run across it in the supermarket. I suspect that the Zingermans stuff is an upmarket version that's made differently from what you can get at a normal grocery. But as for basic grocery store bacon, I agree that it's hard to beat Wrights. (Unless you've got Beeler's in your area.)

Lots of folks say that.

SO and I must have got some from a bad batch — the smoke flavor was horrible (reminded me of the scent of an ashtray.) :S

That must have been a fluke. I've had a lot of their hickory and applewood bacon, and never run into that problem before.

btbyrd

btbyrd

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Turns out that I've actually had their bacon before. Zingerman's sells one of their products as "Arkansas pepper bacon," and it's fantastic stuff. I think they used to sell a "plain" applewood smoked bacon from there as well, but I might not be remembering that correctly. Whatever that was was also delicious. I haven't seen their products in the store anywhere before, but I'll give them a shot if I ever run across it in the supermarket. I suspect that the Zingermans stuff is an upmarket version that's made differently from what you can get at a normal grocery. But as for basic grocery store bacon, I agree that it's hard to beat Wrights. (Unless you've got Beeler's in your area.)

Lots of folks say that.