• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KikiAnn

KikiAnn

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

The Spice House is an interesting place.

as I understand it , it broke off from Penzey's early on.

and is very similar in its various mixes  

one is not for reasons I can't fathom :   Chicago Steak

its one of my all time favorites and the Penzey's version is much much better

has anyone else noted this ?

I live in the greater Milwaukee area, and grew up going to the original Spice House in Wauwatosa, owned by Bill and Ruth Penzey. I believe Bill Jr broke off into the larger franchise and mail order business (Penzeys), and his sister wanted a smaller local flair (only two local stores and mail order). Bill Jr purchased the original Penzey store from his parents.

I was a devoted Penzey user until a couple years ago, when I broke off ties and switched to the Spice House exclusively, for reasons I won't go into. My frustration is as you noted. Although the stores share many of the original brands, there are also many that are proprietary to one or the other. I miss my Penzey exclusive blends, but am finding new treasures at the Spice House.

KikiAnn

KikiAnn

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

The Spice House is an interesting place.

as I understand it , it broke off from Penzey's early on.

and is very similar in its various mixes  

one is not for reasons I can't fathom :   Chicago Steak

its one of my all time favorites and the Penzey's version is much much better

has anyone else noted this ?

I live in the greater Milwaukee area, and grew up going to the original Spice House in Wauwatosa, owned by Bill and Ruth Penzey. I believe Bill Jr broke off into the larger franchise and mail order business (Penzeys), and his sister wanted a smaller local flair (only two local stores and mail order). Bill Jr purchases the original Penzey store from his parents.

I was a devoted Penzey user until a couple years ago, when I broke off ties and switched to the Spice House exclusively, for reasons I won't go into. My frustration is as you noted. Although the stores share many of the original brands, there are also many that are proprietary to one or the other. I miss my Penzey exclusive blends, but am finding new treasures at the Spice House.