• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

18 hours ago, KennethT said:

Got it.  I always thought that an onion was an onion (of comparable types).  For me, if I run out, I can run to the supermarket that's about 200 feet away and grab more.  I wish I had more space so I could grown SE Asian shallots - they ahve a different water content than European style shallots and nowadays they're at least $8 per pound!!!!! And they're hard to find - I basically can only get them in Chinatown. Even the standard European ones are like $6 per pound now!

I'd like to add to this. My garden is on a much smaller scale than @Shelby's so I go in for a lot of companion planting and intermixing. I use either white or red onion 'sets' and plant them on the borders of the beds and interspaced with tomato and pepper plants. They are invaluable for pest control, utilize space I'd otherwise have to weed, when thinned provide a season long source of 'green onions' and you get whatever is left at the end of the season to cure and have as storage onions.

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

Got it.  I always thought that an onion was an onion (of comparable types).  For me, if I run out, I can run to the supermarket that's about 200 feet away and grab more.  I wish I had more space so I could grown SE Asian shallots - they ahve a different water content than European style shallots and nowadays they're at least $8 per pound!!!!! And they're hard to find - I basically can only get them in Chinatown. Even the standard European ones are like $6 per pound now!

I like to add to this. My garden is on a much smaller scale than @Shelby's so I go in for a lot of companion planting and intermixing. I use either white or red onion 'sets' and plant them on the borders of the beds and interspaced with tomato and pepper plants. They are invaluable for pest control, utilize space I'd otherwise have to weed, when thinned provide a season long source of 'green onions' and you get whatever is left at the end of the season to cure and have as storage onions.