• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Straightened out garbled sentence about asking and getting permission to share

On 9/21/2023 at 7:24 PM, lemniscate said:

I am so surprised how sweet the fruit is this year.   It really is a lovely flavor as is.   It's normally a bit insipid and needs additional sweetening and maybe a tiny bit of acid to make it satisfying.   The color is like nothing else.

Sure, I'd love a ice cream recipe, so if you can share it, please do.

Here it is. The source was Sarah Lee-Allen, who did wonderful presentations at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum's "Taste the Desert" events. (I wrote about the first one here, and in reviewing the topic I see you responded with your own comments about prickly pear fruit back then in 2019!)

When I asked whether I could share the recipe, Sarah gave an enthusiastic "yes, as long as it's credited to Jay" (her husband). This photo is of the recipe she had printed out for anyone to take.

Jay's Prickly Pear Sour Cream Ice Cream, by Jay Allen

20230921_192847.jpg

It bugs me that I never have an ice cream maker and the prickly pear syrup available at the same time, but I'm pretty sure I had a sample that night.

Smithy

Smithy

17 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I am so surprised how sweet the fruit is this year.   It really is a lovely flavor as is.   It's normally a bit insipid and needs additional sweetening and maybe a tiny bit of acid to make it satisfying.   The color is like nothing else.

Sure, I'd love a ice cream recipe, so if you can share it, please do.

Here it is. The source was Sarah Lee-Allen, who did wonderful presentations at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum's "Taste the Desert" events. (I wrote about the first one here, and in reviewing the topic I see you responded with your own comments about prickly pear fruit back then in 2019!)

Sarah told me, when I asked, whether I could share the recipe. She gave an enthusiastic "yes, as long as it's credited to Jay" (her husband). This photo is of the recipe she had printed out for anyone to take.

Jay's Prickly Pear Sour Cream Ice Cream, by Jay Allen

20230921_192847.jpg

It bugs me that I never have an ice cream maker and the prickly pear syrup available at the same time, but I'm pretty sure I had a sample that night.