• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How to tell when peas are ready for harvest? 

It takes a bit of practice to harvest them when they're perfect.

Generally, harvest when the pods become plump and you can first feel pea "bumps" or "lumps."

They often turn "mealy" fast.

ETA: So, when first plump with bumps or lumps! :smile:

Another ETA: I worked on dairy farms for many years—farms of family, friends, and neighbors. One forage blend was peas and triticale—wheat-rye hybrid. I can remember standing out in the of fields eating the sweet tender young peas intended for the cows. That particular cultivar was very good! We ate a lot of them.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Generally, harvest when the pods become plump and you can first feel pea "bumps" or "lumps."

ETA: So, plump with bumps or lumps! :smile:

Another ETA: I worked on dairy farms for many years—farms of family, friends, and neighbors. One forage blend was peas and triticale—wheat-rye hybrid. I can remember standing out in the of fields eating the sweet tender young peas intended for the cows. That particular cultivar was very good! We ate a lot of them.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

ETA: So, plump with bumps or lumps! :smile:

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said: