• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Mike Forman

Mike Forman

So months ago the wife and I were traveling south down I95 and right after we passed Delaware we made a turn onto Rt 40 heading into Maryland.  My wife found a BBQ place she wanted to check out called Fast Eddie's.  The ribs were decent enough, and so were the hot sides, especially the baked beans. The cold sides were meh.

Just a few weeks ago we were making the same trip and made another stop.  I didn't really pay attention to the menu the first time because our eyes were on the ribs.  But this second trip just before our order was rung up, I saw it happen.  A beautiful kaiser roll had thin slices of onion placed on the bottom shelf and a high mountain of slices of rare roast beef on top of that.  The owner of that sandwich pulled the top bun off, which was dappled with blood, and pumped a nice dollop of mayonise on top and reassembled the sandwich. 

I'm having what he's having!  (Though they didn't onion me, I should have asked)  Tender raised to the 10th power.  

I know Pit Beef is grilled, but I'm indoors so that's off the table.  How can I make this 3lb top round approximate Pit Beef?  The round is in the fridge, seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and vacuumed sealed.  I'm going to make this for Sunday dinner.

How would you suggest I cook it to get a nice tender rare roast beef ready for the slicer?  Sous-Vide and then finish it off with a sear? Sear before?  Two sears?

Or use the oven?  500 for 15 minutes, oven off and leave in for an hour?

Thanks.  My stomach is already rumbling 

Mike Forman

Mike Forman

So months ago the wife and I were traveling south down I95 and right after we passed Delaware we made a turn onto Rt 40 heading into Maryland.  My wife found a BBQ place she wanted to check out called Fast Eddie's.  The ribs were decent enough, and so were the hot sides (the cold sides were meh), especially the baked beans,

Just a few weeks ago we were making the same trip and made another stop.  I didn't really pay attention to the menu the first time because our eyes were on the ribs.  But this second trip just before our order was rung up, I saw it happen.  A beautiful kaiser roll had thin slices of onion placed on the bottom shelf and a high mountain of slices of rare roast beef on top of that.  The owner of that sandwich pulled the top bun off, which was dappled with blood, and pumped a nice dollop of mayonise on top and reassembled the sandwich. 

I'm having what he's having!  (Though they didn't onion me, I should have asked)  Tender raised to the 10th power.  

I know Pit Beef is grilled, but I'm indoors so that's off the table.  How can I make this 3lb top round approximate Pit Beef?  The round is in the fridge, seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and vacuumed sealed.  I'm going to make this for Sunday dinner.

How would you suggest I cook it to get a nice tender rare roast beef ready for the slicer?  Sous-Vide and then finish it off with a sear? Sear before?  Two sears?

Or use the oven?  500 for 15 minutes, oven off and leave in for an hour?

Thanks.  My stomach is already rumbling