• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon S

Jon S

Readability

On 8/26/2020 at 1:45 PM, PositiveMD said:

@CanadianHomeChef For what it's worth, in modernist cuisine, they stated that the temperatures inside the rational combi ovens weren't very accurate below ~140 F. So I'm not sure how accurate this oven would be compared to the rational ones. 

Okay. So, I just want to confirm whether or not this applies to the APO:

"This is why we hesitate to recommend combi ovens for cooking fish, rare meat, or other foods where you might need temperature accuracy"

[Modernist Cuisine (Vol. 2, Pg 156)]

@PositiveMD's quote is the only thing I've found on eGullet for using the APO at temperatures 140 F / 60 C or below.

I'm curious, what is the accuracy of this statement for APO veterans?

P.S.

I am considering returning my unused Anova Precision Cooker Pro (immersion circulator) to subsidize the cost of the APO. This was just purchased because of a sale but if the Sous Vide mode of the APO is not a concern at low temperatures, then I can't see why I'd have both. Can you?

P.P.S. I have been ignored the three times I've reached out to Anova for response to this main question. The first time (2 months ago), they said I'd be contacted by a technician. And ghosted me even after 4hrs of leaving a chat window open. They have been horrible with Customer Service so far, hopefully that's just been my luck though and isn't the norm.

Jon S

Jon S

Grammer

@CanadianHomeChef For what it's worth, in modernist cuisine, they stated that the temperatures inside the rational combi ovens weren't very accurate below ~140 F. So I'm not sure how accurate this oven would be compared to the rational ones. 

Okay. So, I just want to confirm whether or not this applies to the APO: the statement from The Modernist Cuisine on combi-ovens (Vol. 2, Pg 156), i.e., "This is why we hesitate to recommend combi ovens for cooking fish, rare meat, or other foods where you might need temperature accuracy" Specifically regarding temperatures at 140 F / 60 C or below.

I haven't found much on this on eGullet.

P.S.

I am considering returning my unused Anova Precision Cooker Pro (immersion circulator) to subsidize the cost of the APO. This was just purchased because of a sale but if the Sous Vide mode of the APO is not a concern at low temperatures, then I can't see why I'd have both. Can you?

P.P.S. I have been ignored the three times I've reached out to Anova for response to this main question. The first time (2 months ago), they said I'd be contacted by a technician. And ghosted me even after 4hrs of leaving a chat window open. They have been horrible with Customer Service so far, hopefully that's just been my luck though and isn't the norm.

Jon S

Jon S

Okay. So, I just want to confirm that the statement from The Modernist Cuisine on combi-ovens (Vol. 2, Pg 156), i.e., "This is why we hesitate to recommend combi ovens for cooking fish, rare meat, or other foods where you might need temperature accuracy" Specifically regarding temperatures at 140 F / 60 C or below.

I haven't found much on this on eGullet.

P.S.