• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

7 hours ago, kostbill said:

Why not?

At a given pressure the boiling point of water is more or less a constant.

So far I've steamed only a couple times but I'm pretty sure (not positive) I had sous vide off.  As a sanity check, I looked at a couple steaming recipes on the anova site and they steam with sous vide mode turned off.

Edit:  mea culpa, @tikidoc asked about bagels.  The anova bagel recipe does indeed call for steaming bagels with sous vide mode on.  Why steaming bagels with sous vide mode on while steaming bao with sous vide mode off remains a mystery.

I still would leave sous vide mode off.

P.S.  Anova has to come up with a better term than "sous vide mode".

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

7 hours ago, kostbill said:

Why not?

At a given pressure the boiling point of water is more or less a constant.

So far I've steamed only a couple times but I'm pretty sure (not positive) I had sous vide off.  As a sanity check, I looked at a couple steaming recipes on the anova site and they steam with sous vide mode turned off.