• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jaw

jaw

well, i got an APO because it was on sale. haven't used it yet aside from initial burn in to cook off the residues.

what i like:

• build quality seems acceptable
  • although i haven't put it to the test, the app seems ok. multiple clients connected to the APO at once, and it didn't seem buggy.
  • i was worried about lack of usability with the on-device (non-app) interface, but you can actually get to most of the useful stuff. seems like the main thing missing is multi-stage cooking, and i'd want to do that from the app anyways.
  • the fw (OTA) update process is pretty good. and fast.

neutral:

• no exposed bottom element for powerful radiation from below. maybe this isn't a big deal though.
  • the on-device interface is capacitive touch. i don't really like the look or UX, but as far as capacitive interfaces go, this one is good. NOT great, but it is at least (barely) acceptable. capacitive interfaces are usually complete shit.

what i don't like:

• there is no way to have the oven turn off when the timer finishes. this is a major WTF. if they want to have a mode where the timer just beeps at you and does nothing, that's fine. but it needs to be configurable in the timer menu (do X when timer finishes). CRITICAL feature imo. afaik, the closest thing to a workaround is to set up multi stage cooking and have the final stage set the oven to the minimum temp (75°F?). that kind of works, but it's a pain the ass. every other oven i use (including toaster oven) shuts off by default when the timer's done. this potentially totally breaks my experience with the APO. idk if i can use this as a convenience device. i'm used to being able to put in food, quickly press a couple of buttons, walk away, and come back whenever i want without worrying about burning. and you know what happens to devices that aren't convenient, right? they don't get used 
  • no on-device oven light button. app-only.
  • the baking pan is ridged. ew. i know they did it because it's a cheap way to get a rigid pan, but ew.
  • no desktop/web app. i guess i can probably run it in bluestacks or something (android emulator). assuming this is the case, it's no big deal
jaw

jaw

well, i got an APO because it was on sale. haven't used it yet aside from initial burn in to cook off the residues.

what i like:

• although i haven't put it to the test, the app seems ok. multiple clients connected to the APO at once, and it didn't seem buggy.
  • i was worried about lack of usability with the on-device (non-app) interface, but you can actually get to most of the useful stuff. seems like the main thing missing is multi-stage cooking, and i'd want to do that from the app anyways.

neutral:

• no exposed bottom element for powerful radiation from below. maybe this isn't a big deal though.
  • the on-device interface is capacitive touch. i don't really like the look or UX, but as far as capacitive interfaces go, this one is good. NOT great, but it is at least (barely) acceptable. capacitive interfaces are usually complete shit.

what i don't like:

• there is no way to have the oven turn off when the timer finishes. this is a major WTF. if they want to have a mode where the timer just beeps at you and does nothing, that's fine. but it needs to be configurable in the timer menu (do X when timer finishes). CRITICAL feature imo. afaik, the closest thing to a workaround is to set up multi stage cooking and have the final stage set the oven to the minimum temp (75°F?). that kind of works, but it's a pain the ass. every other oven i use (including toaster oven) shuts off by default when the timer's done. this potentially totally breaks my experience with the APO. idk if i can use this as a convenience device. i'm used to being able to put in food, quickly press a couple of buttons, walk away, and come back whenever i want without worrying about burning. and you know what happens to devices that aren't convenient, right? they don't get used 
  • the baking pan is ridged. ew. i know they did it because it's a cheap way to get a rigid pan, but ew.
  • no desktop/web app. i guess i can probably run it in bluestacks or something (android emulator). assuming this is the case, it's no big deal
jaw

jaw

what i like:

• although i haven't put it to the test, the app seems ok. multiple clients connected to it at once, and it didn't seem buggy.

neutral:

what i don't like:

jaw

jaw

what i like:

• although i haven't put it to the test, the app seems ok. multiple clients connected to it at once, and it didn't seem buggy.

neutral:

what i don't like: