• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

@Joe Blowe, there is an Anova rep that follows the the SousVide forum on Reddit.  Whenever anyone contacts that rep though a Reddit PM they seem to get a replacement, but it usually after they have posted their problem in the forum.  It shouldn't be necessary to go that route, but it seems to work.  My unit failed and I got a replacement on the first try with no questions asked by just emailing the support address.  I have seen many reports similar to mine but also many like yours.  Perhaps it depends on who gets your initial request.

As for the oven, so far I am not very interested.  Sous vide has a lot of room for error in terms of timing so I rarely use the app (although I will have to use an app if my Joule ever gets shipped).  Oven cook times are not as forgiving though so perhaps a temperature probe and a smart cooking algorithm will be a real advantage.  I will definitely need to be sold on the usefulness of communication between the PC and the oven though. I wonder if that is mostly an attempt to gain a marketing advantage over their SV competition.

rustwood

rustwood

@Joe Blowe, there is an Anova rep that follows the the SousVide forum on Reddit.  Whenever anyone contacts that rep though a Reddit PM they seem to get a replacement, but it usually after they have posted their problem in the forum.  It shouldn't be necessary to go that route, but it seems to work.  My unit failed and I got a replacement on the first try with no questions asked by just emailed the support address.  I have seen many reports similar to mine but also many like yours.  Perhaps it depends on who gets your initial request.

As for the oven, so far I am not very interested.  Sous vide has a lot of room for error in terms of timing so I rarely use the app (although I will have to use an app if my Joule ever gets shipped).  Oven cook times are not as forgiving though so perhaps a temperature probe and a smart cooking algorithm will be a real advantage.  I will definitely need to be sold on the usefulness of communication between the PC and the oven though. I wonder if that is mostly an attempt to gain a marketing advantage over their SV competition.

rustwood

rustwood

@Joe Blowe, there is an Anova rep that follows the the SousVide forum on Reddit.  Whenever anyone contactsthat rep though a Reddit PM they seem to get a replacement, but it usually after they have posted their problem in the forum.  It shouldn't be necessary to go that route, but it seems to work.  My unit failed and I got a replacement on the first try with no questions asked by just emailed the support address.  I have seen many reports similar to mine but also many like yours.  Perhaps it depends on who gets your initial request.