• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

i bought a commercial grade slicer when i started making bacon.

In retrospect, i wish i had never bought it.

CONS:

clean up is a complete PITA. COMPLETE PITA.

you have to disassemble the slicer with hand tools.

the blade is like a giant, heavy, circular razor blade. If you drop it, it will likely remove your foot (i ended up buying kevlar gloves)

once apart, it has lots of nooks and crannies..plan on spending some quality time cleaning...

you have to reassemble the slicer with hand tools.

PROS:

bragging rights to owning a commercial slicer

ability to select the exact thickness of the slice

when you use the slicer, expect tiny bits of food to get shot out of the slicer all over the place...it is a spinning disc after all.. now you have to clean the room/walls/floor.

given the time it takes to hand clean the slicer (and the room) your only going to end up using it when you slice enormous amounts of food...

there's a reason it's called a commercial slicer, its just not practical for home use.

i slice my bacon by hand now, and i don;'t dread doing it...

Heartsurgeon

Heartsurgeon

i bought a commercial grade slicer when i started making bacon.

In retrospect, i wish i had never bought it.

CONS:

clean up is a complete PITA. COMPLETE PITA.

you have to disassemble the slicer with hand tools.

the blade is like a giant, heavy, circular razor blade. If you drop it, it will likely remove your foot (i ended up buying kevlar gloves)

once apart, it has lots of nooks and crannies..plan on spending some quality time cleaning...

you have to reassemble the slicer with hand tools.

PROS:

bragging rights to owning a commercial slicer

ability to select the exact thickness of the slice

when you use the slicer, expect tiny bits of food to get shot out of the slicer all over the place...it is a spinning disc after all.. now you have to clean the room/walls/floor.

given the time it takes to hand clean the slicer (and the room) your only going to end up using it when you slice enormous amounts of food...

there's a reason it's called a commercial slicer, its just not practical for home use.