• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ptw1953

ptw1953

My son texted me, saying that my grandsons were asking if Papa would make some bread for them. Emotional blackmail is bad, but surely works. My difficulty is that I have no T65 flour left, and only 3 kilos of '00' flour to work with (flour is still as scarce as hobby-horse sh*te here in Edinburgh's shops; and it's worse on-line).

I worked out the amounts of flour required for a pizza,  a boule and a pain de mie, then proceeded to bake. I am now bereft of flour, for the near future at least, having only enough left for feeding my sourdough starter for 2 weeks maximum. I do have an alert placed for some T65 and more '00', but do not know when the internet supplier will have both back in stock. My son took the photo of the boule crumb he is to photography, what jack the ripper was to walking the streets late at night.

C'est la vie...

Boule for the bairns 6th of May 2020....jpg

Boule for the bairns - crumb....jpg

Pain de Mie for the bairns 9th of May 2020....jpg

Sourdough pizza 7th of May 2020....jpg

Sourdough pizza crust 7th of May 2020....jpg

ptw1953

ptw1953

My son texted me, saying that my grandsons were asking if Papa would make some bread for them. Emotional blackmail is bad, but surely works. My difficulty is that I have no T65 flour left, and only 3 kilos of '00' flour to work with (flour is still as scarce as hobby-horse sh*te here in Edinburgh's shops; and it's worse on-line).

I worked out the amounts of flour required for a pizza,  a boule and a pain de mie, then proceeded to bake. I am now bereft of flour, for the near future at least, having only enough left for feeding my sourdough starter for 2 weeks maximum. I do have an alert placed for some T65 and more '00', but do not know when the internet supplier will have both back in stock.

C'est la vie...

Boule for the bairns 6th of May 2020....jpg

Boule for the bairns - crumb....jpg

Pain de Mie for the bairns 9th of May 2020....jpg

Sourdough pizza 7th of May 2020....jpg

Sourdough pizza crust 7th of May 2020....jpg