• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What does one do to get a soft crust?

This my be considered heresy but it works for me.  When it comes out of the oven, I paint the top with butter then when it has cooled a little but still warm, I either wrap it in plastic or put it in a plastic bag.  That will make the bread soggy if you take it out too soon but if you let it set overnight, the moisture will reabsorb into the the crust and leave it softer than just butter alone.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What does one do to get a soft crust?

This my be considered heresy but it works for me.  When it comes out of the oven, I paint the top with butter then when it has cooled a little but still warm, I either wrap it in plastic or put it in a plastic bag.  That will make the bread soggy if you take it out too soon but if you let it set overnight, the moisture will reabsorb into the the crust and leave it soft.