• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PatrickT

PatrickT

Crumb shot and tasting notes

100% whole wheat with walnut oil and hot honey - just out of the oven. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted a 100% whole wheat loaf. The dough more than doubled in 6.5 hrs at 65F with only 50g of starter.

Recipe:

- 500g whole wheat flour

- 375g water (likely could have used as much as 400g with this flour)

- 10g salt

- 50g starter

- 25g hot honey

- 25g walnut oil

- Rolled oats for topping

This loaf is very dense - think rye or even pumpernickel - and significantly more sour than any other loaf I've made. I can barely taste the honey but I believe the oil lends an almost creamy mouthfeel as you chew the bread. The crust is crispy but seems to chew much more easily than a typical loaf I would bake. I really love this one - so different!

On a separate note - does anyone know why some images display as completely black when uploaded? I’ve tried several times to upload them but am getting the same thing. Weird? I’ve been doing this from my phone. Will try uploading from my computer later to see if that makes a difference. EDIT: Uploading from my computer worked. I'll follow up on that with the forum admins. 

IMG_8020.jpeg

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

IMG_8025.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

100% whole wheat with walnut oil and hot honey - just out of the oven. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted a 100% whole wheat loaf. The dough more than doubled in 6.5 hrs at 65F with only 50g of starter. Anxious to taste this one! Will post crumb shot later. 

Recipe:

- 500g whole wheat flour

- 375g water (likely could have used as much as 400g with this flour)

- 10g salt

- 50g starter

- 25g hot honey

- 25g walnut oil

- Rolled oats for topping

PS - does anyone know why some images display as completely black when uploaded? I’ve tried several times to upload them but am getting the same thing. Weird? I’ve been doing this from my phone. Will try uploading from my computer later to see if that makes a difference. EDIT: Uploading from my computer worked. I'll follow up on that with the forum admins. 

IMG_8020.jpeg

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

100% whole wheat with walnut oil and hot honey - just out of the oven. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted a 100% whole wheat loaf. The dough more than doubled in 6.5 hrs at 65F with only 50g of starter. Anxious to taste this one! Will post crumb shot and recipe later. 

PS - does anyone know why some images display as completely black when uploaded? I’ve tried several times to upload them but am getting the same thing. Weird? I’ve been doing this from my phone. Will try uploading from my computer later to see if that makes a difference. 

IMG_8020.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

100% whole wheat with walnut oil and hot honey - just out of the oven. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted a 100% whole wheat loaf. The dough more than doubled in 6.5 hrs at 65F with only 50g of starter. Anxious to taste this one! Will post crumb shot and recipe later. 

PS - does anyone know why some images display as completely black when uploaded? I’ve tried several times to upload them but am getting the same thing. Weird?

IMG_8020.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

IMG_8020.jpeg

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8023.jpeg