• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PatrickT

PatrickT

On 5/24/2024 at 9:47 AM, Jim D. said:

Does anyone have an idea why this hole appeared in my sandwich loaf?  It is an all-whole-wheat recipe (mostly white whole wheat, some regular WW, based chiefly on one from marysnest.com).  Baked to a temp of 200F. A somewhat wet dough, which I treated like a no-knead type of bread.  I'm searching for a whole wheat loaf that takes a minimal amount of time to prepare so that I will make it regularly.  The hole develops from time to time, but not always. Thanks for any help.

PXL_20240520_194100096.thumb.jpg.ee479296d6febb1bcb17f1fcbf413971.jpg

I see nobody answered your question. I'm hardly a bread making authority, but I wonder if this could be a shaping issue - especially given the fact that it appears intermittently. Maybe try degassing the dough well before shaping and then ensure that there are no trapped air pockets as you're doing the final shaping.

Hope that helps!

PatrickT

PatrickT

On 5/24/2024 at 9:47 AM, Jim D. said:

Does anyone have an idea why this hole appeared in my sandwich loaf?  It is an all-whole-wheat recipe (mostly white whole wheat, some regular WW, based chiefly on one from marysnest.com).  Baked to a temp of 200F. A somewhat wet dough, which I treated like a no-knead type of bread.  I'm searching for a whole wheat loaf that takes a minimal amount of time to prepare so that I will make it regularly.  The hole develops from time to time, but not always. Thanks for any help.

PXL_20240520_194100096.thumb.jpg.ee479296d6febb1bcb17f1fcbf413971.jpg

I see nobody answered your question. I'm hardly a bread making authority, but I wonder if this could be a shaping issue? I'm wondering if that's it, especially given the fact that it appears intermittently. Maybe try degassing the dough well before shaping and then ensure that there are no trapped air pockets as you're doing the final shaping.

Hope that helps!