• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails

Vanessa

Let me just throw in here, as it seems a convenient place, that making a vodka martini, shaken over ice, but replacing the vermouth with Amaretto - perhaps a touch more Amaretto than you would add vermouth - can make one happy.  :smile:

Whats the name of this lovely-sounding little delicacy?

Let me just throw in here, as it seems a convenient place, that making a vodka martini, shaken over ice, but replacing the vermouth with Amaretto - perhaps a touch more Amaretto than you would add vermouth - can make one happy. :smile:

Whats the name of this lovely-sounding little delicacy?

Alcohetto :smile:

a vodka martini, shaken over ice, but replacing the vermouth with Amaretto - perhaps a touch more Amaretto than you would add vermouth - can make one happy.  :smile:

I bow to Your Dreaminess in all things sartorial and porcine, but....oh dear.

1)A Vodka martini?

2)Amaretto?

Well, as long as it makes you happy! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Other cocktail mishaps to beware of:

1. The opposite problem to Kiku's - when the parts of the shaker decide to separate in mid-air, resulting in sticky liquid and ice flying in all directions

2. Feline/human displacement of full cocktail glass - with same multi-directional results as above.  Especially annoying when on-line to e-gullet as the full replacement of computer keyboard is sometimes required.

:angry:  :angry:

v

and just how many cocktails have you had when these things happen? :biggrin:

[wrote a version of this post this morning and it disappeared into the ether - not you guys, it's our crap IT system at work :angry: . Now I have to try and resurrect]

Charlene - if only :wink:

A conversation with Bapi last week reminded me of why I so love cocktails. He was referring to how a good martini just 'hits the spot'. It is the hitting the spot factor which is so addictive - that sensation, on the first sip of a good cocktail, of 'ah', and a gentle sigh of relief.

What creates that factor? A correct combination of flavours, appropriate levels of dilution and temperature which create magic.

I had a cocktail at the weekend that achieved just this. Don't laugh - it was a peach daiquiri. Made in the blender with white rum, peach liqueur (not peach schnapps), half a shrivelled, over-ripe, wonderfully flavoursome peach (yes, at this time of year!), sugar and plenty of lime juice to give zip. The end result a perfect marriage of alcohol, sweet and sour.

Which brings me to one of the golden rules of cocktail making: I always have a stock at home of lemons, limes and oranges. Never use ready made juices, except of course for pineapple juice.

I'm sure this morning's post was better - but what the hell.

v

Test drove several new cocktails for the specialty cocktail list here at work. My recent find of real Jamaican Ginger Beer (more like a ginger juice - non-carbonated) made my mind reel with possibilities for winter time drinks. Here are the three winners so far:

Lemon Ginger Cosmopolitans - made with Absolut Citron, Triple Sec, a splash of Ginger Beer, a splash of Cranberry juice and a little Roses Lime juice.

Ginger Side Car - standard Side Car recipe with Brandy, Cointreau and fresh lemon juice, add a healthy splash of Ginger Beer and serve up with a sugared rim.

In honor of eGullet - the Slippery Slope. 3 oz. Bourbon, 1 oz Ginger Beer shaken, served over ice and filled with bitter lemon.

Will continue playing with the day bartender while it's quiet from the snowstorm. I'll keep you all posted on any new developments.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

In honor of eGullet - the Slippery Slope.  3 oz. Bourbon, 1 oz Ginger Beer shaken, served over ice and filled with bitter lemon.

Way to go, Katie. Glad someone grabbed my suggestion for a cocktail name!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Way to go, Katie.  Glad someone grabbed my suggestion for a cocktail name!

Thanks Maggie! The name was too good to let pass by. The implication of drinking one too many goes without saying, I think :wacko:

Cheers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to hit the spot tonight, from my usual bible by Paul Martin:

Pet (why do cocktails have such stupid names)

1 1/2oz white rum

3/4oz dark rum

1/4 oz Cointreau

2 dashes grenadine

1/4 oz lemon juice

Shake with ice & strain into martini glass

v