• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

45 minutes ago, lindag said:

I steamed my eggs over simmering water on the stove top 

for 12 minutes (two different times) and the eggs were not done.  How long should I have cooked them?

I occasionally steam eggs this way but I get the water hot before I put the eggs in the steamer basket and then start the 12 minute timing. Kenji did a detailed Food Lab on this. He claims steaming on the stovetop is better than using a pressure cooker and makes them easier to peel, I'm not sure about that. But when I use the Instant Pot for steaming eggs, I do heat the water a bit now (on Sauté) before putting the eggs in. I also use Low Pressure so I think that counters his claim that PCs can cook the eggs too hot.   

Anyway, here's the whole long article if you need to kill some time, though you can get the gist fairly quickly. :)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I have done eggs in the CSO but forget the details. I should give that another go. But I usually want hard-boiled eggs and I love how the other methods make the eggs so easily peeled, even fresh-from-the-farm eggs. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

I steamed my eggs over simmering water on the stove top 

for 12 minutes (two different times) and the eggs were not done.  How long should I have cooked them?

I occasionally steam eggs this way but I get the water hot before I put the eggs in the steamer basket and then start the 12 minute timing. Kenji did a detailed Food Lab on this. He claims steaming on the stovetop is better than using a pressure cooker and makes them easier to peel, I'm not sure about that. But when I use the Instant Pot for steaming eggs, I do heat the water a bit now (on Sauté) before putting the eggs in. I also use Low Pressure so I think that counters his claim that PCs can cook the eggs too hot.   

Anyway, here's the whole long article if you need to kill some time, though you can get the gist fairly quickly. :)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I have done eggs in the CSO but forget the details. I should give that another go. But I usually want hard-boiled eggs and I love how the other methods make the eggs so easily peeled.