• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

It's not a new book, 2015, and I'm on only page 27, but already I'm stunned by what I'm reading: Mark Schatzer's The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor.  

Where have I been?  I knew that food had changed...but stupid me I just repeated that phrase without really thinking about it seriously.  I didn't fathom the depths of the changes,  that they had been so orchestrated, so deliberate.  (I think I've been too busy in the medical  and pharmaceutical world where the situation has a similar pattern with terrible effects and family concerns made this necessary.)  

Because Ed and I are war babies we can remember food as it was to some extent.  One of my clearest memories was eating chunks of pumpernickel bread in sour cream and cottage cheese with Papa, my Mother's Father.   You can't get any of these ingredients today which taste the way they used to.  

Fascinating book in a horrible way. 

Added:  on page 50 now...no changes in the way I feel...

Darienne

Darienne

It's not a new book, 2015, and I'm on only page 27, but already I'm stunned by what I'm reading: Mark Schatzer's The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor.  

Where have I been?  I knew that food had changed...but stupid me I just repeated that phrase without really thinking about it seriously.  I didn't fathom the depths of the changes,  that they had been so orchestrated, so deliberate.  (I think I've been too busy in the medical  and pharmaceutical world where the situation has a similar pattern with terrible effects and family concerns made this necessary.)  

Because Ed and I are war babies we can remember food as it was to some extent.  One of my clearest memories was eating chunks of pumpernickel bread in sour cream and cottage cheese with Papa, my Mother's Father.   You can't get any of these ingredients today which taste the way they used to.  

Fascinating book in a horrible way.