• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I do think that MSG and black pepper (maybe even some white) are an important part of the recipe.

But I think that the flavor (the one or two spices, that are very closely related) that make it truly unique—the cornerstone of the recipe—especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago and prior, has been overlooked by almost everyone.

Hint: They're indirectly mentioned in the Big Secrets book.

I can remember James Beard picking up on the flavor in a different account, many years ago.

I can't find a reference to it now, but when I read it I remember thinking "YES!"

It's odd that he's not quoted as mentioning it in the "Big Secrets" book—which makes me wonder how accurate the Big Secrets book is.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I do think that MSG and black pepper (maybe even some white) are an important part of the recipe.

But I think that the flavor (the one or two spices, that are very closely related) that make it truly unique—the cornerstone of the recipe—especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago and prior, has been overlooked by almost everyone.

I can remember James Beard picking up on the flavor in a different account, many years ago.

I can't find a reference to it now, but when read it I remember thinking "YES!"

It's odd that he's not quoted as mentioning it in the "Big Secrets" book—which makes me wonder how accurate the Big Secrets book is.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I do think that MSG and black pepper (maybe even a touch of white) are an important part of the recipe.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I do think that MSG and black pepper (maybe even a touch of white) are an important part of the recipe.

Hint: They're indirectly mentioned in the 'Big Secrets" book.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

But I think that the flavor (the one or two spices, that are very closely related) that makes it truly unique—the cornerstone of the recipe—especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago and prior, has been overlooked by almost everyone.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

But I think that the flavor (the one or two spices, that are very closely related) that makes it truly unique—the cornerstone of the recipe—especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago and prior, has been overlooked by almost everyone.

I can't find a reference to it now, but when read it I remember thinking "YES."

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

And I can remember James Beard picking up on the flavor in a different account, many years ago.

I can't find a reference to it now, but when read it I remember thinking "YES."

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

But I think that the flavor (the one or spices, that are closely related) that makes it truly unique—the cornerstone of the recipe—especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago and prior, has been overlooked by almost everyone.

Hint: They're mentioned in the 'Big Secrets."

And I can remember James Beard picking up on the flavor in a different account, many years ago.

I can't find a reference to it now, but when red it I remember thinking "YES."

It's odd that he doesn't mention it in the "Big Secrets" book—which makes me wonder how accurate the Big Secrets book is.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

But I think that the spice that makes it truly unique—the cornerstone of the recipe—especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago and prior, has been overlooked by almost everyone.