• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

45 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

FWIW....Hydrogen Peroxide is dandy.  No odor.  J ust let it set on the board for a minute or two. it'll fizz. Then rinse and dry thoroughly.  

If there are stains to get rid of, try coarse salt or baking soda to scrub with. 

I thought this was such a great idea, I just tried it on my meat and veggie boards. At first I thought the peroxide may have gone inactive, but it's in date. It also reacted when in touched it with my fingers that had recently been washed with soap and water. Then I poured some on the sponge, and it went crazy and the sponge got warm.

So, apparently my current sterilization procedures are working fine for the cutting boards, but I gotta work on the sponge procedures. The one that reacted so strongly has been rotated down for wiping up floor spills, and replaced with a new one. :$

ETA: When I exposed the new sponge to the peroxide on the boards, it did not react, so it wasn't reacting with the cellulose in the old one, but something more sinister. Well, good to know, and a good test to see how clean your sponge is too. I always wash out the sinks with a sponge and hot soapy water as the last step of cleaning the kitchen and rinse everything well in hot water. Then I prop up the sponge against the backsplash so it'll dry out thoroughly. Clearly, this isn't enough. I guess I have been lucky, but I need to do better here.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

38 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

FWIW....Hydrogen Peroxide is dandy.  No odor.  J ust let it set on the board for a minute or two. it'll fizz. Then rinse and dry thoroughly.  

If there are stains to get rid of, try coarse salt or baking soda to scrub with. 

I thought this was such a great idea, I just tried it on my meat and veggie boards. At first I thought the peroxide may have gone inactive, but it's in date. It also reacted when in touched it with my fingers that had recently been washed with soap and water. Then I poured some on the sponge, and it went crazy and the sponge got warm.

So, apparently my current sterilization procedures are working fine for the cutting boards, but I gotta work on the sponge procedures. The one that reacted so strongly has been rotated down for wiping up floor spills, and replaced with a new one. :$