• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Clarity

I'm afraid I'm in the "too many books" camp, and that blog post has me nailed.  Her first rule made me laugh with rueful self-recognition: "Don't open the book. Once you open the book - you are screwed - that looks good, I'll make that some day...". That is exactly what happens to me every time I start to cull.  I just made my annual Friends of the Library donation and sent a couple dozen cookbooks, along with even more non-cookbooks, to find new homes and make a few bucks for the library.  There are at least 5 books still on my shelf that I opened, looked at, thought "oh yeah, I wanted to make that!" and put back.  This time around I marked the recipes. I am getting better, however, at using the "let this book go free so somebody else can enjoy it" attitude.

Smithy

Smithy

I'm afraid I'm in the "too many books" camp, and that blog post has me nailed.  Her first rule made me laugh with rueful self-recognition: "Don't open the book. Once you open the book - you are screwed - that looks good, I'll make that some day...". That is exactly what happens to me every time I start to cull.  I just made my annual Friends of the Library donation and sent a couple dozen cookbooks, along with even more non-cookbooks, to someone else's home.  There are at least 5 books still on my shelf that I opened, looked at, thought "oh yeah, I wanted to make that!" and put back.  This time around I marked the recipes. I am getting better, however, at using the "let this book go free so somebody else can enjoy it" attitude.