• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

This is a late reply, but I have the same breadmaker, and also got terrible results with the included recipes. 

I have had much better luck with recipes from good bread machine cookbooks -- if I had to get only one, it would probably be Beth Hensperger's The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook. I've also had good luck with recipes from King Arthur Flour's website. (Note that there are a *lot* of used bread machine books available cheap on Amazon or Alibris or elsewhere.)

My SO is fond of a particular commercial whole grain sandwich bread, and I wanted to come up with a recipe -- this is what I have landed on. It's adapted very loosely from a KAF recipe.

Healthy, Nutty Bread

Ingredients:

• 300g lukewarm water
  • 25g olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 78g maple syrup
  • 350g White Whole Wheat or Whole Wheat Flour
  • 50g rye flour
  • 25g cornmeal
  • 25g sunflower, sesame or flax seeds, or a combination (I use a TJ's seed blend sometimes)
  • 35g nuts
  • 1.5 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

Directions:

1. Put all of the ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed. 
  2. Select whole wheat bread setting, and press Start.
  3. Remove the bread from the machine when it's done. Either cool on a rack, or turn the "keep warm" setting off and prop the machine door open to prevent the crust from wrinkling.
dtremit

dtremit

This is a late reply, but I have the same breadmaker, and also got terrible results with the included recipes. 

I have had much better luck with recipes from good bread machine cookbooks -- if I had to get only one, it would probably be Beth Hensperger's The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook. I've also had good luck with recipes from King Arthur Flour's website. (Note that there are a *lot* of used bread machine books available cheap on Amazon or Alibris or elsewhere.)

My SO is fond of a particular commercial whole grain sandwich bread, and I wanted to come up with a recipe -- this is what I have landed on:

Healthy, Nutty Bread

Ingredients:

• 300g lukewarm water
  • 78g maple syrup
  • 50g rye flour
  • 25g cornmeal
  • 25g sunflower, sesame or flax seeds, or a combination (I use a TJ's seed blend sometimes)
  • 35g nuts

Directions:

3. Remove the bread from the machine when it's done. Either cool on a rack, or turn the "keep warm" setting off and prop the machine door open to prevent the crust from wrinkling.
dtremit

dtremit

I have had much better luck with recipes from good bread machine cookbooks -- if I had to get only one, it would probably be Beth Hensperger's The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook. I've also had good luck with recipes from King Arthur Flour's website.

My SO is fond of a particular commercial whole grain sandwich bread, and I wanted to come up with a recipe -- this is what I have landed on:

Healthy, Nutty Bread

Ingredients:

• 300g lukewarm water
  • 78g maple syrup
  • 50g rye flour
  • 25g cornmeal
  • 35g nuts

Directions: