• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

Not trying to win again, just trying to be helpful. In times of plenty of vegetables, I like to make vegetable korma and freeze it. Just don't use potato in the portions to be frozen -potato is great in korma, but does not freeze well. Generally, I freeze in rectangular containers, pop out the next day and then vacuum seal. That way, the frozen foods stack really well.

I'd also consider making some sorbet and putting that away for winter, you'll really appreciate it then.

One way to use up cabbage, plus other veg, is to make eggrolls. People don't think to make them at home, but, they are delicious. Just make sure to really get the water out of the filling before rolling. (I will often salt the cabbage a few hours in advance, the run it through a salad spinner to get rid of excess moisture. Thinly slicing then roasting in the oven prior to stir frying works, too.

BTW, the fekkas were great for breakfast. Lots of protein, kept me going all morning. I just ate a couple with tea. Tomorrow, i am going to try the children's breakfast of broken fekkas in milk.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

Not trying to win again, just trying to be helpful. In times of plenty of vegetables, I like to make vegetable korma and freeze it. Just don't use potato in the portions to be frozen -potato is great in korma, but does not freeze well. Generally, I freeze in rectangular containers, pop out the next day and then vacuum seal. That way, the frozen foods stack really well.

I'd also consider making some sorbet and putting that away for winter, you'll really appreciate it then.

One way to use up cabbage, plus other veg is to make eggrolls. People don't think to make them at home, but, they are delicious. Just make sure to really get the water out of the filling before rolling. (I will often salt the cabbage a few hours in advance, the run it through a salad spinner to get rid of excess moisture. Thinly slicing then roasting in the oven prior to stir frying works, too.