• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

Today is the first pesto marathon of the summer so I cut lots of garlic scapes and the basil. I usually get 3 cuttings of basil (I also have basil in pots near the kitchen for when I need just a little for cooking - the garden basil is mostly for pesto. If we run out of pesto before the next year's harvest my marriage might be in trouble.:P)- this is the first. This was about a quarter of the garlic scapes.

DSC01379.jpg

Arlo likes to help in the garden. He especially likes fennel.

DSC01356.jpg

The outside tomatoes and some of the squash. I picked the first zucchini today. In the very front you can see a few stalks of cracoviensis lettuce - also called red celtuce. Beautiful green leaves with a purple overlay. It bolts early but that's ok because it never gets bitter and you peel and cook the stalks.

DSC01372.jpg

The green house tomatoes - its a jungle in there. I am clearly not as careful about pruning the suckers off as i could be. And I don't prune the determinate varieties at all. 

DSC01368.jpg

The ugly: The June honeymoon is over and the flea beetles have arrived in force. This was a very nice planting of red mizuna only a few days ago.:(

DSC01362.jpg

ElainaA

ElainaA

Today is the first pesto marathon of the summer so I cut lots of garlic scapes and the basil. I usually get 3 cuttings of basil (I also have basil in pots near the kitchen for when I need just a little for cooking - the garden basil is mostly for pesto. If we run out of pesto before the next year's harvest my marriage might be in trouble.:P)- this is the first. This was about a quarter of the garlic scapes.

DSC01379.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

The outside tomatoes and some of the squash. I picked the first zucchini today.

DSC01372.jpg

The green house tomatoes - its a jungle in there. I am clearly not as careful about pruning the suckers off as i could be. And I don't prune the determinate varieties at all. 

DSC01368.jpg

The ugly: The June honeymoon is over and the flea beetles have arrived in force. This was a very nice planting of red mizuna only a few days ago.:(

DSC01362.jpg

ElainaA

ElainaA

DSC01379.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

The outside tomatoes and some of the squash. I picked the first zucchini today.

DSC01372.jpg

The green house tomatoes - its a jungle in there.