• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Susie Q

Susie Q

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, heidih said:

I can't help you but had to comment as they were the joy of my childhood trips to Los Angeles' Chinatown. Good luck and do report back :) 

Me too. I've many fond childhood memories of the Phoenix Bakery on Broadway in LA's Chinatown and Bowties were my favorite. Theirs were thin and super crispy and brittle and dipped in a thick sugar syrup. They reminded me of deep fried wonton or egg roll skins with their bubbled surface. Very much like cannoli shell but not baked and of course without the filling.

Phoenix Bakery's looked like this.

butterfly+cookies_5898blg.jpg

Susie Q

Susie Q

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, heidih said:

I can't help you but had to comment as they were the joy of my childhood trips to Los Angeles' Chinatown. Good luck and do report back :) 

Me too. I've many fond childhood memories of the Phoenix Bakery on Broadway in LA's Chinatown and Bowties were my favorite. Theirs were thin and super crispy and brittle and dipped in a thick sugar syrup. They reminded me of deep fried wonton or egg roll skins dipped with their bubbled surface.

Phoenix Bakery's looked like this.

butterfly+cookies_5898blg.jpg