• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

campus five

campus five

Tonight I made a "Navy Grog" according to the Trader Vic specification as detailed in the book. Interestingly the Don the Beachcomber specs are also listed. What was crazy is how balanced it was. I don't mean to put out the whole recipe, but most of the book can be searched for on google books. 

.75 Lime / .75 grapefruit

.25 rich demerara / .25 allspice dram

1 oz each of three different rums 

And these are the rums I used:

1 oz Plantation 3 star

1 oz Smith and Cross

1 oz Bacardi Extra Anejo

1.5 oz of citrus balanced by .25 oz of syrup and .25 of liqueur that I don't think of as particularly sweet. And it's not like any of the rums are particularly sweet, either. 

Good stuff. 

Funny thing, I had hesitated to make it since I didn't have the ice cone mold, but it's not even used in the Trader Vic version, so there that. 

campus five

campus five

Tonight I made a "Navy Grog" according to the Trader Vic specification as detailed in the book. Interestingly the Don the Beachcomber specs are also listed. What was crazy is how balanced it was. I don't mean to put out the whole recipe, but most of the book can be searched for on google books. 

.75 Lime / .75 grapefruit

.25 rich demerara / .25 allspice dram

1 oz Plantation 3 star

1 oz Smith and Cross

1 oz Bacardi Extra Anejo

1.5 oz of citrus balanced by .25 oz of syrup and .25 of liqueur that I don't think of as particularly sweet. And it's not like any of the rums are particularly sweet, either. 

Good stuff. 

Funny thing, I had hesitated to make it since I didn't have the ice cone mold, but it's not even used in the Trader Vic version, so there that.