• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nicolai

Nicolai

On 6/6/2016 at 5:55 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I made a batch of lemon tahini tonight to go with a green leaf lettuce and chickpea salad. It was according to the Serendipity recipe linked, but I had no fresh parsley, so I left that out. I also do not remember either the texture of even very finely chopped parsley or a greenish tint which would result if it was whirred up in a blender, which I suspect is the way the restaurant does it. It would take them too long to get big batches homogeneous by hand. I didn't add garlic the first time I made it just before starting this thread, but I did add a small clove this time because the Serendipity recipe calls for it. So:

4 T tahini

2 t sesame oil from jar

1 small clove garlic crushed in a press

1 lemon juiced

plus quite a bit more than the 2 t water called for because it was so thick

I generally don't care much for raw garlic. This time was no exception, but the sauce was still good. I may try dried garlic powder on the next batch. Roasted garlic might also be very nice in it. I decided I quite like the first one I mentioned here with the tarmari, but I have always liked a salty taste.

I also served the sauce with Imam Baildi or Imam Bayildi depending on which of my cookbooks you consult. It was very good with this eggplant dish too.

I fried up the green tomato one night and enjoyed it with the leftovers from the first batch I made with tamari. Recommended.

I would not put Theeneh sauce i.e. Tarator on Banjan Iman Bayeldi as you will loose all the taste of the dish.

Coming back to Theeneh, We do that very often and never think of the recipe as at is a Chef's measure.

You have to note two very important preps:

1- The garlic is too be mashed in a mortar and pestle with salt

2- You have to use COLD water to dilute the Theeneh. Duno why but that's the way we do it. I am sure there is a chemical explanation somewhere.

Tepid or normal temp water does not give the same texture and taste.

I guess for 1/2 cup of Theeneh, one garlic clove, half juice of a medium size lemon and COLD water.

Start by mashing the garlic with salt, macerate and mix with the lemon juice and set aside.

Dilute the Theeneh with COLD water a little at a time until you get a paste consistency, add the lemon juice and garlic and stir, this will dilute the Theeneh even more.

Add lemon juice and/or water to taste.

We do not add Cumin in the Levantine version. Egyptians like to add Cumin.It changes the taste.

I personally add a pinch of Aleppo Pepper. As a matter of fact, We just had the very Theeneh today poured over Tuna (canned) and scooped with flat bread with a serving of green onions and Pickled Turnips and Caulifower. A pot of Foul was served as a hot dish. Of course salad a side dish.

All washed down with a red Melon and dessert was a bar of Lindt Sea Salt Dark chocolate.

Nicolai

Nicolai

On 6/6/2016 at 5:55 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I made a batch of lemon tahini tonight to go with a green leaf lettuce and chickpea salad. It was according to the Serendipity recipe linked, but I had no fresh parsley, so I left that out. I also do not remember either the texture of even very finely chopped parsley or a greenish tint which would result if it was whirred up in a blender, which I suspect is the way the restaurant does it. It would take them too long to get big batches homogeneous by hand. I didn't add garlic the first time I made it just before starting this thread, but I did add a small clove this time because the Serendipity recipe calls for it. So:

4 T tahini

2 t sesame oil from jar

1 small clove garlic crushed in a press

1 lemon juiced

plus quite a bit more than the 2 t water called for because it was so thick

I generally don't care much for raw garlic. This time was no exception, but the sauce was still good. I may try dried garlic powder on the next batch. Roasted garlic might also be very nice in it. I decided I quite like the first one I mentioned here with the tarmari, but I have always liked a salty taste.

I also served the sauce with Imam Baildi or Imam Bayildi depending on which of my cookbooks you consult. It was very good with this eggplant dish too.

I fried up the green tomato one night and enjoyed it with the leftovers from the first batch I made with tamari. Recommended.

I would not put Theeneh sauce i.e. Tarator on Bnajan Iman Bayeldi as you will loose all the taste of the dish.

Coming back to Theeneh, We do that very often and never think of the recipe as at is a Chef's measure.

You have to note two very important preps:

1- The garlic is too be mashed in a mortar and pestle with salt

2- You have to use COLD water to dilute the Theeneh. Duno why but that's the way we do it. I am sure there is a chemical explanation somewhere.

Tepid or normal temp water does not give the same texture and taste.

I guess for 1/2 cup of Theeneh, one garlic clove, half juice of a medium size lemon and COLD water.

Start by mashing the garlic with salt, macerate and mix with the lemon juice and set aside.

Dilute the Theeneh with COLD water a little at a time until you get a paste consistency, add the lemon juice and garlic and stir, this will dilute the Theeneh even more.

Add lemon juice and/or water to taste.

We do not add Cumin in the Levantine version. Egyptians like to add Cumin.It changes the taste.

I personally add a pinch of Aleppo Pepper. As a matter of fact, We just had the very Theeneh today poured over Tuna (canned) and scooped with flat bread with a serving of green onions and Pickled Turnips and Caulifower. A pot of Foul was served as a hot dish. Of course salad a side dish.

All washed down with a red Melon and dessert was a bar of Lindt Sea Salt Dark chocolate.