• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

almonds

I'm confused - The Guardian says the fatal dish was chicken tikka masala, but aside from one mention of peanut oil for sauteing, none of the first several recipes that came up in my search for chicken tikka masala call for nuts of any sort.  No almonds, no peanuts, no cashews, just yogurt, tomato, spices and cream, so what the hell?  Am I finding only American versions and the British version uses nuts? Either the Guardian got the dish wrong, or this guy was really phenomenally cavalier about putting peanuts where they don't belong. 

Does anybody know what Indian curries should include almonds?  I think I've seen nuts in rice dishes and sweets, but curry or other savory dishes?

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I'm confused - The Guardian says the fatal dish was chicken tikka masala, but aside from one mention of peanut oil for sauteing, none of the first several recipes that came up in my search for chicken tikka masala call for nuts of any sort.  No almonds, no peanuts, no cashews, just yogurt, tomato, spices and cream, so what the hell?  Am I finding only American versions and the British version uses nuts? Either the Guardian got the dish wrong, or this guy was really phenomenally cavalier about putting peanuts where they don't belong.