• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastryani

pastryani

16 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I haven't yet tried to "glue" together two halves of this type of mold. I assume one would make each half separately, close each, then melt the feet to stick them together. Or perhaps there is a better way?

I've tried "gluing" both ways:  (1) with a chocolate backing as pastrygirl said in which case the center of your finished piece has 2 layers of chocolate in the middle dividing the fillings, or (2) just slightly overfilling the cavities, adding a drop of chocolate to each side, closing them together, and hoping for the best. :D

The advantages of the former method are that the halves tend to stick together better and there's no spillage of filling.  The downside (for me) is that you get that center of chocolate which together can sometimes be quite thick.  With the latter method you don't get that thick chocolate center, but the halves don't stick together very well, and if your filling is runny then good luck trying to join the halves without making a mess. I find this works best with thick or sticky fillings like peanut butter, but expect to join a good number of halves together manually. 9_9

pastryani

pastryani

16 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I haven't yet tried to "glue" together two halves of this type of mold. I assume one would make each half separately, close each, then melt the feet to stick them together. Or perhaps there is a better way?

I've tried "gluing" both ways:  (1) with a chocolate backing as pastrygirl said in which case the center of your finished piece has 2 layers of chocolate in the middle dividing the fillings, or (2) just slightly overfilling the cavities, adding a drop of chocolate to each side, closing them together, and hoping for the best. :D

The advantages of the former method are that the halves tend to stick together better and there's no spillage of filling.  The downside (for me) is that you get that center of chocolate which together can sometimes be quite thick.  With the latter method you don't get that thick chocolate center, but the halves don't stick together very well, and if your filling is runny then good luck trying to join the halves without making a mess. I find this works best with thick or sticky fillings like peanut butter, but expect to join a good number of halves manually. 9_9