• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

My worst habit is roasting nuts in the oven and forgetting about them. I can't really see them through the oven door so I also need to open the door (releasing heat in the process) to check and stir them. I hate the timer on my oven (so does the dog - he hates beeps) so I never set it but if I am busy elsewhere getting other things done, the sheet of whatever in the oven may get a tad overdone. Additionally, one often should stir the nuts so they are evenly roasted. If I do nuts or seeds on the stove, I don't leave it to do its thing so that consumes me while it is happening and nothing else gets done (though it is much faster that way and I probably get more consistent results).

I think a separate device designed specifically for roasting nuts, seeds and spices may be the answer to both issues - especially since it likely would have a lower temperature range for perhaps a slightly longer time period and stir itself. The longer time is offset by the fact that I would not be throwing out spices and nuts. I am sure you would have to do a lot of testing but perhaps you could include a rotary dial that auto-sets the device for optimum times/temperature for either nuts or seeds and is so labelled but that may be getting too complex for the time being. I would rather reset the device for another round of heating than take burnt nuts out of my oven or try to juggle both stirring a pot with one hand and swishing around spices in a pan with the other. Spices often need to be ground after toasting, so a small appliance for toasting them first that could sit right next to the grinder would be useful. Just don't make it too tall or heavy (storage issues then ensue). Ideally, I would like something small enough to store in a deep-ish drawer near where it is used the most.

I don't currently roast too many spices or nuts - just occasionally/perhaps once a month on average - but my current interest in preparing more Indian dishes at home could easily make this potential device much more useful to me given that I have a ('unadmitted' on this forum till now) propensity for messing up the small stuff like this. I am sure no one absolutely NEEDS a gadget such as this but many of us are kitchen gadget junkies so there is probably an audience here.

Deryn

Deryn

My worst habit is roasting nuts in the oven and forgetting about them. I can't really see them through the oven door so I also need to open the door (releasing heat in the process) to check and stir them. I hate the timer on my oven (so does the dog - he hates beeps) so I never set it but if I am busy elsewhere getting other things done, the sheet of whatever in the oven may get a tad overdone. Additionally, one often should stir the nuts so they are evenly roasted. If I do nuts or seeds on the stove, I don't leave it to do its thing so that consumes me while it is happening and nothing else gets done (though it is much faster that way and I probably get more consistent results).

I think a separate device designed specifically for roasting nuts and seeds may be the answer to both issues - especially since it likely would have a lower temperature range for perhaps a slightly longer time period and stir itself. The longer time is offset by the fact that I would not be throwing out spices and nuts. I am sure you would have to do a lot of testing but perhaps you could include a rotary dial that auto-sets the device for optimum times/temperature for either nuts or seeds and is so labelled but that may be getting too complex for the time being. I would rather reset the device for another round of heating than take burnt nuts out of my oven or try to juggle both stirring a pot with one hand and swishing around spices in a pan with the other. Spices often need to be ground after toasting, so a small appliance for toasting them first that could sit right next to the grinder would be useful. Just don't make it too tall or heavy (storage issues then ensue). Ideally, I would like something small enough to store in a deep-ish drawer near where it is used the most.

I don't currently roast too many spices or nuts - just occasionally/perhaps once a month on average - but my current interest in preparing more Indian dishes at home could easily make this potential device much more useful to me given that I have a ('unadmitted' on this forum till now) propensity for messing up the small stuff like this. I am sure no one absolutely NEEDS a gadget such as this but many of us are kitchen gadget junkies so there is probably an audience here.

Deryn

Deryn

My worst habit is roasting nuts in the oven and forgetting about them. I can't really see them through the oven door so I also need to open the door (releasing heat in the process) to check and stir them. I hate the timer on my oven (so does the dog - he hates beeps) so I never set it but if I am busy elsewhere getting other things done, sheet of whatever in the oven may get a tad overdone. Additionally, one often should stir the nuts so they are evenly roasted. If I do nuts or seeds on the stove, I don't leave it to do its thing so that consumes me while it is happening and nothing else gets done (though it is much faster that way and I probably get more consistent results).

I think a separate device designed specifically for roasting nuts and seeds may be the answer to both issues - especially since it likely would have a lower temperature range for perhaps a slightly longer time period and stir itself. The longer time is offset by the fact that I would not be throwing out spices and nuts. I am sure you would have to do a lot of testing but perhaps you could include a rotary dial that auto-sets the device for optimum times/temperature for either nuts or seeds and is so labelled but that may be getting too complex for the time being. I would rather reset the device for another round of heating than take burnt nuts out of my oven or try to juggle both stirring a pot with one hand and swishing around spices in a pan with the other. Spices often need to be ground after toasting, so a small appliance for toasting them first that could sit right next to the grinder would be useful. Just don't make it too tall or heavy (storage issues then ensue). Ideally, I would like something small enough to store in a deep-ish drawer near where it is used the most.