• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Add a response to comment on page 3

8 hours ago, SLB said:

The goose prices are wild, but at least it seems like an adventure (of a sort).  

Admitting that I do not purchase food in this format ever, this photo (taken in good ole NYC Fairway) is the kind of food-form that makes me think the apocalypse is upon us:

2016-03-09 17.29.52.jpg

I mean.  It's not like I haven't made a meal out of stir-fried onions and mushrooms.  But.  But.  I mean . . . for five bucks???

Anyone else notice that the parsley has not even been chopped? That's the hardest part to me. If I were buying that package of veggies because I was trying to avoid chopping, that would be a problem. That said, it would probably make a lovely topping fried up in butter and then splashed with a little soy sauce for some good steaks. One would have to get past the dirty appearing mushrooms first though. I'm getting older and weaker too. I love mushrooms, but the pre-sliced ones are never cleaned, and until I'm decrepit and half blind, I'm not eating or serving dirty mushrooms. :)

@DerynI usually only cook for two nowadays, and have thrown out many partial onions that weren't used right away after cutting into them in past years because I didn't want them stinking up my refrigerator. I got an idea from some very cute and very overpriced containers I saw for sale in an upscale produce department that were shaped and decorated like an onion for storing partially used onions. I immediately thought of the sour cream and cottage cheese tubs I save for food storage and I haven't wasted an onion since. The plastic these dairy containers are made of is specially formulated to keep odors out, but they also keep them in. I've kept cut onions up to two weeks in the fridge this way. It has also improved my cooking because I'm never tempted to use too much onion in a dish just to avoid waste, or leave it out because I just need a little of it.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

8 hours ago, SLB said:

Admitting that I do not purchase food in this format ever, this photo (taken in good ole NYC Fairway) is the kind of food-form that makes me think the apocalypse is upon us:

2016-03-09 17.29.52.jpg

I mean.  It's not like I haven't made a meal out of stir-fried onions and mushrooms.  But.  But.  I mean . . . for five bucks???

Anyone else notice that the parsley has not even been chopped? That's the hardest part to me. If I were buying that package of veggies because I was trying to avoid chopping, that would be a problem. That said, it would probably make a lovely topping fried up in butter and then splashed with a little soy sauce for some good steaks. One would have to get past the dirty appearing mushrooms first though. I'm getting older and weaker too. I love mushrooms, but the pre-sliced ones are never cleaned, and until I'm decrepit and half blind, I'm not eating or serving dirty mushrooms. :)

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

8 hours ago, SLB said:

2016-03-09 17.29.52.jpg

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

8 hours ago, SLB said:

2016-03-09 17.29.52.jpg