• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

I'm not sure I have a test dish - I judge by whether the food looks, smells and tastes like I want to eat it.  And preferably no silly plating or garnishes...

However, for desserts in a new place I'll go for the rum baba.  It's very hard to screw up, but it's also very hard to make it memorable.

ETA: If I'm being honest though, I'll often judge a restaurant more on the service than the food.  I've had a lot more good food ruined by lousy service than vice versa.

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

I'm not sure I have a test dish - I judge by whether the food looks, smells and tastes like I want to eat it.  And preferably no silly plating or garnishes...

However, for desserts in a new place I'll go for the rum baba.  It's very hard to screw up, but it's also very hard to make it memorable.