• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

My husband loves mac and cheese so much that I make it often. Usually with good white or yellow American cheese from the deli, butter, milk, and elbows. It really doesn't take a lot longer than the boxed stuff, and it doesn't even create any more dishes to wash, as you just tear the cheese slices into the milk and butter. Sometimes I will run out of fresh American cheese, and unprocessed cheeses are just too grainy in stove top mac and cheese.

I do use the boxed stuff that lives a long time on a pantry shelf at times. For years, I was loyal to the blue box Kraft brand because it tasted better than the generic or store brands that I attempted to save money with. Then several years ago, they dropped dried cheddar cheese, which was an ingredient for many, many years, and began relying on whey and other "stuff" for flavor, and that is what I thought the OP was talking about, when he said no one noticed. Well I did notice, and stopped buying it in favor of the Food Lion store brand which does contain dried cheddar cheese and tastes better than the cheeseless Kraft. Bonus: the store brand is also cheaper.

If they have indeed changed their recipe, I might give Kraft mac and cheese another whirl, but only if it contains actual cheese. I'm just peculiar that way. :smile:

Edited to Add: I just had another thought that perhaps the lack of cheese is why it is called Kraft Dinner in Canada instead if Mac and Cheese. Our government stewards are not well known for the protection of us hapless consumers from our corporate benefactors.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

My husband loves mac and cheese so much that I make it often. Usually with good white or yellow American cheese from the deli, butter, milk, and elbows. It really doesn't take a lot longer than the boxed stuff, and it doesn't even create any more dishes to wash, as you just tear the cheese slices into the milk and butter. Sometimes I will run out of fresh American cheese, and unprocessed cheeses are just too grainy in stove top mac and cheese.

I do use the boxed stuff that lives a long time on a pantry shelf at times. For years, I was loyal to the blue box Kraft brand because it tasted better than the generic or store brands that I attempted to save money with. Then several years ago, they dropped dried cheddar cheese, which was an ingredient for many, many years, and began relying on whey and other "stuff" for flavor, and that is what I thought the OP was talking about, when he said no one noticed. Well I did notice, and stopped buying it in favor of the Food Lion store brand which does contain dried cheddar cheese and tastes better than the cheeseless Kraft. Bonus: the store brand is also cheaper.

If they have indeed changed their recipe, I might give Kraft mac and cheese another whirl, but only if it contains actual cheese. I'm just peculiar that way. :smile: