• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

Franci:

Here is what Rose Levy Berenbaum published about the widely available commercial flours in The Bread Bible (a book that I think got really very mixed reviews here on eG when it came out, but one that I rather love):

Gold Medal unbleached AP:  10-12%, usually 10.5%

Gold Medal bread flour:  12.1 to 12.6%, usually 12.3%

Pillsbury unbleached AP:  10.5-11.5%

Pillsbury bread flour:  11.5-12.5%

King Arthur Flour (KAF) high-gluten flour (also known as "Sir Lancelot):  14%

KAF bread flour:  12.7%

KAF AP:  11.7%

KAF whole wheat flour:  14%

KAF white whole wheat flour:  13%

KAF Italian-style flour: 7.4%

KAF European-style Artisan flour (this one might have a new name):  11.7%

KAF French-style flour:  11.5%

KAF organic flour:  11.7%

I know that people do sub KAF all-purpose for bread flour, and don't always like KAF all-purpose as compared with other AP flours.  That said, KAF's reputation is for consistency across the seasons. 

I personally use Gold Medal unbleached AP, and KAF bread flour.  I like KAF cake flour (not mentioned above), but don't have a need for it often; I strongly prefer White Lily bleached (mentioned upthread) for biscuits and that sort of thing.  And I really don't like the KAF Italian-style flour, and instead strongly prefer the imported-but-otherwise-ordinary 00 flours that aren't that hard to find in NYC, when I'm trying to make super-soft pasta.  KAF "Italian-style" might be more for pizza than pasta, but I can't stand it.  

SLB

SLB

Franci:

Here is what Rose Levy Berenbaum published about the widely available commercial flours in The Bread Bible (a book that I think got really very mixed reviews here on eG when it came out, but one that I rather love):

Gold Medal bread flour:  12/1 to 12/6%, usually 12.3%

I know that people do sub KAF all-purpose for bread flour, and don't always like KAF all-purpose as compared with other AP flours.  That said, KAF's reputation is for consistency across the seasons. 

I personally use Gold Medal unbleached AP, and KAF bread flour.  I like KAF cake flour (not mentioned above), but don't have a need for it often; I strongly prefer White Lily bleached (mentioned upthread) for biscuits and that sort of thing.  And I really don't like the KAF Italian-style flour, and instead strongly prefer the imported-but-otherwise-ordinary 00 flours that aren't that hard to find in NYC, when I'm trying to make super-soft pasta.  KAF "Italian-style" might be more for pizza than pasta, but I can't stand it.  

SLB

SLB

Franci:

I personally use Gold Medal unbleached AP, and KAF bread flour.  I like KAF cake flour (not mentioned above), but don't have a need for it often; I strongly prefer White Lily bleached (mentioned upthread) for biscuits and that sort of thing.  And I really don't like the KAF Italian-style flour, and instead strongly prefer the imported-but-otherwise-ordinary 00 flours that aren't that hard to find in NYC, when I'm trying to make super-soft pasta.  It might be more for pizza than pasta, but I can't stand it.  

SLB

SLB

Franci:

Pillsbury unbleached AP:  10/5-11/5%

I personally use Gold Medal unbleached AP, and KAF bread flour.  I like KAF cake flour (not mentioned above), but don't have a need for it often; I strongly prefer White Lily bleached (mentioned upthread) for biscuits and that sort of thing.  And I really don't like the KAF Italian-style flour, and instead strongly prefer the imported-but-otherwise-ordinary 00 flours that aren't that hard to find in NYC, when I'm trying to make super-soft pasta.  It might be more for pizza than pasta, but I can't stand it.