• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

syntax

Last year I grew Burpee's grafted Rutgers plants.  Unfortunately Burpee's new search feature is even more useless than eGullet's.  Anyhow I got good yield of Rutgers and all the tomatoes I could eat.  The flavor was OK but not great.  By far my favorite New Jersey tomato is Ramapo.  However Ramapo plants or seeds are impossible to find.  At least for me.  In the two years I've grown Ramapo, once in the 1970's and once in the 1990's, I've had almost none to harvest but they were the stuff of which memories were made.

This year unless Ramapo somehow reappears I am going back to Mountain Magic, which are easy to grow and the flavor is fantastic.  Mountain Magic are similar in taste to Campari.

Wish I had some now.  I feel like a traitor to my state.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Last year I grew Burpee's grafted Rutgers plants.  Unfortunately Burpee's new search feature is even more useless than eGullet's.  Anyhow I got good yield of Rutgers and all the tomatoes I could eat.  The flavor was OK but not great.  By far my favorite New Jersey tomato is Ramapo.  However Ramapo plants or seeds are impossible to find.  At least for me.  In the two years I've grown Ramapo, once in the 1970's and once in the 1990's, I've had almost none to harvest but they were the stuff of which memories were made.

This year unless Ramapo somehow reappears up I am going back to Mountain Magic, which are easy to grow and the flavor is fantastic.  Mountain Magic are similar in taste to Campari.

Wish I had some now.  I feel like a traitor to my state.