• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

29 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Yeah, skim milk powder is about half lactose by weight. The lactose is a major part of what make it effective. If you're trying to reduce lactose it get a bit tricky. I'm not a huge fan of maltodextrin (except in sport drinks) because the glycemic index is so high. One option is trehalose, which has properties quite similar to lactose. Inulin isn't really something I'd use to bump up the solids. It works like a cross between a sugar, a fat, and a stabilizer. I like it in sorbets up to a few percent, but not in ice cream. People use it in very low fat ice creams, if they want them to seam like high fat ice creams. I just use as much fat as I think is appropriate.

You could consider using atomized glucose powder. The catch is that you never know what's in it besides glucose ... and it's often a whole lot of maltodextrin and related dextrins. I end up using a fair amount of this in sorbets. 

Agreed with your points but have you ever bumped against the boundaries of lactose when you raise your milk powder? I’m afraid that the lactose makes the texture sandy. I don’t know what lactose/water percentage that’s safe

i am also avoiding atomized glucose it is just so unpredictable!!

ccp900

ccp900

26 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Yeah, skim milk powder is about half lactose by weight. The lactose is a major part of what make it effective. If you're trying to reduce lactose it get a bit tricky. I'm not a huge fan of maltodextrin (except in sport drinks) because the glycemic index is so high. One option is trehalose, which has properties quite similar to lactose. Inulin isn't really something I'd use to bump up the solids. It works like a cross between a sugar, a fat, and a stabilizer. I like it in sorbets up to a few percent, but not in ice cream. People use it in very low fat ice creams, if they want them to seam like high fat ice creams. I just use as much fat as I think is appropriate.

You could consider using atomized glucose powder. The catch is that you never know what's in it besides glucose ... and it's often a whole lot of maltodextrin and related dextrins. I end up using a fair amount of this in sorbets. 

Agreed with your points but have you ever bumped against the boundaries of lactose when you raise your milk powder? I’m afraid that the lactose makes the texture sandy. I don’t know what lactose/water percentage that’s safe