• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

53 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

I distill ethanol (60%) for, ahem, medicinal purposes. Would that suffice?

I have been heating my coloured cocoa butter to 39c in an (almost) redundant sous vide supreme, then shaking the bottle (which is not fully melted) a few times before spraying. Would fully melting, then cooling to 29c be a better approach?

1. IDK, but its just alcohol from the drug store. Very cheap, very easy to obtain.

2. Again, that's what Dubovic says: 50º, 26º, 29º and that has worked much better for me. When things cool down again I will try going back to Melissa's method of heating and putting in the freezer and shaking. But for now I'm too happy with my results.

gfron1

gfron1

26 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

Does any other member use warm soapy water? I thought that soap/washing-up liquid would remove the cocoa butter film building up on the mould, and affect the shine on chocolates.

I distill ethanol (60%) for, ahem, medicinal purposes. Would that suffice?

I have been heating my coloured cocoa butter to 39c in an (almost) redundant sous vide supreme, then shaking the bottle (which is not fully melted) a few times before spraying. Would fully melting, then cooling to 29c be a better approach?

1. I stopped because of Andrey Dubovic's class. I now only polish with alcohol and have definitely seen an improvement in shine.

2. IDK, but its just alcohol from the drug store. Very cheap, very easy to obtain.

3. Again, that's what Dubovic says: 50º, 26º, 29º and that has worked much better for me. When things cool down again I will try going back to Melissa's method of heating and putting in the freezer and shaking. But for now I'm too happy with my results.