• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morrell's wine sale

scamhi

I took a look at the red Bordeaux and the white Burgundies and can't find anything of interest. In general, like most retailers, they are pushing what's available, which are wines that are too young to drink. Also, although their discounts appear large, they are starting from an extraordinarily high price point. More relevant is to compare these prices to recent auction prices. I took a quick look at the 1986 cheval blanc and 1990 haut brion which at least one can think about drinking today vs recent prices from Sotheby's auctions. The Sotheby's website has a good capability for searching past auction results. For the 1986 cheval blanc, which I don't recommend, I find the 1983 and 1985 much better, they are charging $325 vs a fairly consistent auction price of about $150. For the 1990 haut brion, which is excellent, they are charging $333 versus a widely varying auction price of $210-$260.