• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patris

patris

I have been using the paragon for a few weeks now and while I don't think I would use it for anything requiring real temperature precision like caramel, it has become my go-to for things like grilled sandwiches (rapid precise, 350 F, up to 5 minutes per side) and scrambled eggs (220 F), both of which turn out pretty close to my platonic ideal. I have also caramelized large batches of onions a couple of times - 275 F for as long as it takes to cook them down - maybe a couple hours?, stirring every now and then. It seems to hold a relatively consistent temperature over a long period of time - something that I did not trust my old Burton induction hob to do. I also use it for making things that need to simmer a while - I really appreciate being able to dial in a temperature and know that it will bubble away in a relatively narrow temperature range rather than the burner cycling on and off like my smoothtop range does. It was so much less expensive than the hob I bought years ago, and cooks so much more evenly, that I am perfectly OK with not depending on it for things where precision makes or breaks a recipe.

EDITED TO ADD: I do not find the app particularly useful. I can set a timer to remind me to flip my grilled cheese sandwich - I don't need my phone to tell me when to do it. If the app had a larger library of recommended temperatures I might find it more useful, but it is not a resource to which I turn at this point.

patris

patris

I have been using the paragon for a few weeks now and while I don't think I would use it for anything requiring real temperature precision like caramel, it has become my go-to for things like grilled sandwiches (rapid precise, 350 F, up to 5 minutes per side) and scrambled eggs (220 F), both of which turn out pretty close to my platonic ideal. I have also caramelized large batches of onions a couple of times - 275 F for as long as it takes to cook them down - maybe a couple hours?, stirring every now and then. It seems to hold a relatively consistent temperature over a long period of time - something that I did not trust my old Burton induction hob to do. I also use it for making things that need to simmer a while - I really appreciate being able to dial in a temperature and know that it will bubble away in a relatively narrow temperature range rather than the burner cycling on and off like my smoothtop range does. It was so much less expensive than the hob I bought years ago, and cooks so much more evenly, that I am perfectly OK with not depending on it for things where precision makes or breaks a recipe.