• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So it seems to be still working I didn’t leave it in the rice terribly long after doing some research that suggested that putting it in rice in the first place was kind of pointless. So now I am starting a sous vide cook of a pork chop. I have yet to figure out how to make the Paragon speak Celsius. So it is set for 132°F which is approximately 55.5555 whatever degrees Celsius. When the unit beeped to tell me that it had reached set temperature I checked it with my trusty Therma probe. 

It seems to be  pretty close — 55.3°C but it is varying by 1°F up and down as I watch it. That’s by no means a dealbreaker on a pork chop. Would it be on an egg? I don’t know. I doubt it’s going to push my Joule out of favour.

Reading the manual I see how to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius on the unit. 

I also read that the sensor is water resistant but not water tight. Perhaps I have dodged a bullet. 

C7B8D233-8E4A-4358-B310-616ED5071C37.thumb.jpeg.edd7a574a5dad5e16311b35705252818.jpeg

Not very evenly caramelized onions but I blame myself on this one not the unit. I ran out of power before it did!

E01AFB95-7F4B-4ED4-83AB-EFD05B5CAFA7.thumb.jpeg.985f20ca687cbd2df7058ddf50acec9a.jpeg

Sous vide set up. I have set a timer on my phone for two hours. I just need to find out how long the unit will run before it shuts off because I do know it shuts off and somewhere in the manual it tells me. 

“After 30 minutes of inactivity in direct mode at power level 10, or 45 minutes of inactivity in precise mode at temperatures above 214°F, your cooktop will begin to flash and beep. Press the start button to continue at the current settings if Start is not pressed after one minute the cooktop shut off.”

this is only sort of informative. It would be nice to know what happens with the 24 to 72 hour sous vide cooking session which of course would be well below 214°F. Would it keep going or would it switch off at some point? Damn they need to do something about this manual.

I have not tested but I am pretty sure the unit never shuts off below 214F.  If doing a 72 hr cook I'd keep the sensor plugged in so the battery did not run out.  However the Paragon would not be my tool of choice for a 72 hr cook.  I do know from experience that at 375F the unit will shut off if left unattended long enough.

Press and hold the + and - buttons together for three seconds to toggle the display to Celsius.

Edit:  sorry, I misread, I see you already figured this out.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So it seems to be still working I didn’t leave it in the rice terribly long after doing some research that suggested that putting it in rice in the first place was kind of pointless. So now I am starting a sous vide cook of a pork chop. I have yet to figure out how to make the Paragon speak Celsius. So it is set for 132°F which is approximately 55.5555 whatever degrees Celsius. When the unit beeped to tell me that it had reached set temperature I checked it with my trusty Therma probe. 

It seems to be  pretty close — 55.3°C but it is varying by 1°F up and down as I watch it. That’s by no means a dealbreaker on a pork chop. Would it be on an egg? I don’t know. I doubt it’s going to push my Joule out of favour.

Reading the manual I see how to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius on the unit. 

I also read that the sensor is water resistant but not water tight. Perhaps I have dodged a bullet. 

C7B8D233-8E4A-4358-B310-616ED5071C37.thumb.jpeg.edd7a574a5dad5e16311b35705252818.jpeg

Not very evenly caramelized onions but I blame myself on this one not the unit. I ran out of power before it did!

E01AFB95-7F4B-4ED4-83AB-EFD05B5CAFA7.thumb.jpeg.985f20ca687cbd2df7058ddf50acec9a.jpeg

Sous vide set up. I have set a timer on my phone for two hours. I just need to find out how long the unit will run before it shuts off because I do know it shuts off and somewhere in the manual it tells me. 

“After 30 minutes of inactivity in direct mode at power level 10, or 45 minutes of inactivity in precise mode at temperatures above 214°F, your cooktop will begin to flash and beep. Press the start button to continue at the current settings if Start is not pressed after one minute the cooktop shut off.”

this is only sort of informative. It would be nice to know what happens with the 24 to 72 hour sous vide cooking session which of course would be well below 214°F. Would it keep going or would it switch off at some point? Damn they need to do something about this manual.

I have not tested but I am pretty sure the unit never shuts off below 214F.  If doing a 72 hr cook I'd keep the sensor plugged in so the battery did not run out.  However the Paragon would not be my tool of choice for a 72 hr cook.  I do know from experience that at 375F the unit will shut off if left unattended long enough.

Press and hold the + and - buttons together for three seconds to toggle the display to Celsius.