• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Sherry Vinegar

Indy D

I just started making my own vinegar (red wine, beer/malt) and I was wondering if anyone out there makes their own sherry vinegar and if so, how does it turn out? The reason I ask is that commercial sherry vinegar producers seem to age their product for many years using the solera method, as they do with the wine.

If you use sherry that has already gone through the solera process for many years, would the affect be the same? I could see this being the case if sherry vinegar producers turn young sherry into vinegar, then age the vinegar. However, if they age the sherry, then age the vinegar made from that sherry, I imagine the homemade result would not be nearly as refined. 

I imagine sherry in Spain isn't fortified before it is turned into vinegar. Since sherry is fortified, I think you'd have to dilute it before you could add a mother to turn it into vinegar.  Another thing to think about trying is to add sherry a little at a time to relatively neutral (unpasteurized) white vinegar until you get a flavor you like. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

That's a very good point, Norm. A 17% ABV sherry would require a dilution of 1 part wine to 1 1/8 parts water to achieve my desired 8% alcohol. This does seem a bit more dilute than I would want, but its not necessarily a deal breaker.

As for dosing sherry into a neutral vinegar, that does sound like a good solution but I don't drink Sherry enough to keep it on hand.